Mountain Lion announced

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt
Valued Contributor

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Apple needs to just slow down and get things right the first time, not just release a whole bunch of point releases as something "new and magical!" Sorry for the rant just sick of polishing turds everyday.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

rtrouton

Developer Preview is supposed to be post today. ADC's down with the "Back Soon" post-it.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

seriously? We JUST recently got most of the kinks worked out of Lion. Any bets on if it will be a free upgrade? :)

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

More importantly, how many days until we can't buy computers that will boot Lion images.

thomasC
Contributor

Looks like features that didn't make it into Lion in time. Seems like the new features could have come down through the App Store or as updates.

Matt
Valued Contributor

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Apple needs to just slow down and get things right the first time, not just release a whole bunch of point releases as something "new and magical!" Sorry for the rant just sick of polishing turds everyday.

bentoms

Marked Matt's comment as the answer!

We're/were going to roll out Lion in the summer..

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

i'm torn between not caring and feeling like sysadmins inherently need to adapt to changing technology or risk becoming irrelevant/unemployable.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

It's available now.

robb1068
Contributor

Yikes! This is from Gruber's site:

"And then the reveal: Mac OS X — sorry, OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule. This year’s update is scheduled for release in the summer, and is ready now for a developer preview release. Its name is Mountain Lion."

http://daringfireball.net/

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, ya think they'd at least wait for all the software vendors to fix the Lion compatibility issues first. This was announced to developers yesterday. I can't remember the last time I had two beers.

external image link

--
https://donmontalvo.com

bentoms
iCloud document storage, and the biggest change to Open and Save dialog boxes in the 28-year history of the Mac. Mac App Store apps effectively have two modes for opening/saving documents: iCloud or the traditional local hierarchical file system. The traditional way is mostly unchanged from Lion (and, really, from all previous versions of Mac OS X). The iCloud way is visually distinctive: it looks like the iPad springboard — linen background, iOS-style one-level-only drag-one-on-top-of-another-to-create-one “folders”. It’s not a replacement of traditional Mac file management and organization. It’s a radically simplified alternative.

bentoms

sorry one more tidbit:

My favorite Mountain Lion feature, though, is one that hardly even has a visible interface. Apple is calling it “Gatekeeper”. It’s a system whereby developers can sign up for free-of-charge Apple developer IDs which they can then use to cryptographically sign their applications. If an app is found to be malware, Apple can revoke that developer’s certificate, rendering the app (along with any others from the same developer) inert on any Mac where it’s been installed. In effect, it offers all the security benefits of the App Store, except for the process of approving apps by Apple. Users have three choices which type of apps can run on Mountain Lion: Only those from the App Store Only those from the App Store or which are signed by a developer ID Any app, whether signed or unsigned

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bentoms I smell a feature request..."Disable iCloud document storage".

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Matt
Valued Contributor

I'm getting hated on so much on Macrumors right now! Hahahaa say one negative thing about Apple and they dog pile on you. If they only knew what it was like to be a Mac Admin!

Cem
Valued Contributor

MacPad :)

Matt
Valued Contributor

Well Active Directory works. Thats a start!

Kev
New Contributor III

This seems less like an OS update and more like an App bundle.

mclemens
New Contributor

Can't add it to casper.. the jss doesn't know how to handle the .8

tsd25108
New Contributor II

I'm not looking forward to it either. Like bentoms I was going to be rolling it out this summer. We just bought our licenses for 10.7 for our older Macs. Not so fun to have to buy another one so soon..

Kevin
Contributor II

I have not seen mention of price. What if… Apple gives it away? Or sells it for $10 or something like that? Good PR. And after all, this isn't a deep OS update. As someone else mentioned, it feels like more of an App bundle than an OS update.