Mouse/keyboard issues after sleep and wake up

jezerski
New Contributor III

Hi. I'm hoping someone has run into this issue before. We are seeing more MB Pro's have an issue with the mouse and keyboard not working after going to sleep and then waking up. At first I thought it was due to VM's running on Fusion or Parallels, but now I've seen it on two Mac's without any VM's or VM software installed. When the machine wakes up, I'm able to move the mouse, but not click on anything, and they keyboard will not let me type. A hard reboot resolves the issue, or if I wait anywhere from 5-30 minutes, mouse and keyboard activity usually come back. I've seen it happen on Yosemite 10.10.5, and El Capitan 10.11.3. I don't have any active bluetooth mice/keyboards at my desk (may be some nearby), and have never had one connected to my test device. The only thing connected was a magsafe 2 power adapter, and a thunderbolt dock connecting the ethernet cable. I've run Apple Diagnostics and it doesn't find anything. I've tried resetting the nvram and SMC. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jason

25 REPLIES 25

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jezerski I've seen the same thing. Are you seeing the problem on only certain model computers or is it across many different model computers? I was having the problem on my personal MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) but I had version 7 of VMWare Fusion and Apple indicated it wasn't compatible with Mac OS 10.11. So I upgraded to version 8 and the problem hasn't seemed to happen since. But I have seen a similar issue with computers that have Mac OS 10.10.5 installed at my office. It seems like once a computer has been through several sleep/wake cycles that various issues develop. For instance the USB ports or keyboard and mouse stop working until the computer is restarted. I don't seem to see this issue with computers that are running Mac OS 10.9.5. We don't have a whole lot of computers on Mac OS 10.11.3 yet, so I don't know if the problem gets worse with that OS or not. I'd be interested in here more details on what you are seeing.

jchurch
Contributor II

i have this same issue here on a handful of machines. we all have the same model laptops but two different builds

Model:MacBook Air (13-inch Early 2015)
Processor Type:Intel Core i5
Total RAM:4.0 GB

Model:MacBook Air (13-inch Early 2015)
Processor Type:Intel Core i7
Total RAM:8.0 GB

ive seen this is machines with and without vmware so that doesn't seem to be the issue. some of the reported issues are running 10.10.5 and others 10.11.3

the only common factors i can find are the hardware it self, and casper.

i just had two of my techs remove the casper management framework to see if its casper. i will let you know what i find.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I'm mainly seeing this issue with 13-inch MacBook Pro (Early 2015) model computers with 8 GB of RAM and 2.7 GHz i5 processors. Nearly all of them have Mac OS 10.10.5 installed.

jezerski
New Contributor III

Thanks for the responses. @mpermann All of our Mac's in Casper are one of the below models. So far I've only seen it happen on one of the Late 2013 models running 10.10.5. I've seen it with and without VMWare Fusion, and on Yosemite 10.10.5 and El Capitan 10.11.3, so it can't just be an issue with VM. I did have Fusion updated to version 8 on at least one of the machines, and it still experienced the issue. The only things they all have in common are Junos Pulse VPN, MS Office 2016, Lync 2011, and Casper management. @jchurch I'm curious to see your results without the management framework.

15" MB Pro Mid 2015
Intel Core i7
16Gb RAM

15" MB Pro Late 2013
Intel Core i7
16Gb

jezerski
New Contributor III

I just installed Casper on a 15" MBPro, Intel Core i7 w 16Gb of RAM yesterday afternoon. User has had the machine for a year and never had a problem. Today, he had a problem with the mouse and keyboard after putting it to sleep and waking it up.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jezerski have you filed a bug report with JAMF and Apple regarding the issue? If you haven't please do and report back what they have to say. I'm interested in what they have to say regarding the issue.

jchurch
Contributor II

i just heard from my tech. after removing casper from his laptop, its been 24 hours trouble free.

jezerski
New Contributor III

I actually have a ticket open with Apple support and have an appointment at the Genius bar this afternoon. I'll submit a bug report to both as well @mpermann .

jezerski
New Contributor III

@mpermann and @jchurch , do you have any Configuration Profiles setup regarding the screensaver? I had enabled a profile to require the password 1 minute after the screensaver starts. I disabled this policy today to see if it helps, but I'm wondering if you had any similar configuration profiles that may help narrow down the issue.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jezerski no configuration profiles at all. Haven't had a need to implement any yet. I've been thinking about it though.

RogerH
Contributor II

I too have had 3 users with this exact issue. Have you tried an SMC and pram reset?

yukonluke
New Contributor

I've run into this problem with multiple computers as well. Mostly 2015 Macbook Airs, but we've also observed it on Early 2009 & Late 2011 iMacs as well as 2015 Macbook Pros.

Most of our computers are running either OS 10.10.3 or 10.10.5. Some of the newer ones are on 10.11.3. We have a configuration profile that is supposed to require password "immediately" after sleep or screensaver (although we've run into the problem where it's changed to 5 minutes on some of our computers).

I've noticed that when this problem occurs, the computer isn't prompting for a password when waking. I suspect this is an issue where some background app or process has "hijacked" keyboard focus. It's possible that the keyboard focus is stuck waiting for someone to enter the password (on the loginwindow that never appeared)? This is just conjecture on my part.

While troubleshooting, I've determined that ssh-ing into the computer and running the command "pmset sleepnow" will bring back full functionality (after waking the computer), so maybe the computer is only partially awake when this problem is occurring? Logging out the current user using a "killall loginwindow" also works, but may result in lost work.

I am also eagerly hoping for a solution to this.

yukonluke
New Contributor

I found another post here on Jamf Nation about what I believe to be the same issue.

They're saying that it's a "login window" config. profile.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=19038

timlarsen
Contributor

I actually just posted my own discussion about this a few minutes ago, but must have not seen this thread yet. I am periodically seeing this issue on several of our users machines (randomly). Our users are all getting the PW prompt as expected, but once the UI loads, keyboard focus (or really, any other app focus) does not function. But in layman's terms, our mouse works and our keyboard doesn't.

I agree with @yukonluke in that there is a login background process most likely causing this problem. But why now? And why all of a sudden?

BTW our current fix is to go to the login window from the fast user switching menu, login as another user or the local admin and force quit the "loginwindow" process running under the problematic user (through Activity Monitor). This clears up any issues with the problematic user.

joaquim
New Contributor

I reached out to JAMF Support and this was the reply. I haven't implemented this yet. Will look into it today. Hope it helps.

Sorry to hear that we are running into this issue. Did some digging and sounds like this is a known product issue -- PI-002199 -- looks like it is something that is set up incorrectly in that Login Window payload. Our current workaround is to force the system to sleep via opt shift power or recreate the configuration profile via Profile Manager and then import it into the JSS. Are you familiar with Profile Manager?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@joaquim FWIW, this is what I did.

joaquim
New Contributor

Thank you for tip @bentoms. Much appreciated!

bearzooka
Contributor

We've been struggling with this issue as well and there hasn't been a chance to modify the config profile, so I've come up with the following workaround:

I have the bottom left corner configured to start the screen saver and whenever that happens I move my mouse there, and just as the screen goes blank, I move it again so the screen saver actually doesn't come up, but I have the keyboard focus back again.

This seems to let go the "lost" login screen and thus, stop the hijacking.

jamesdurler
Contributor

hey guys,
can anyone confirm upgrading to version 9.98 has resolved this issue?

R_Kohrs
New Contributor

I have had this problem for about 18 months now, have been on the phone with Apple and have been in the store twice as well. Recently even erased the hard drive, same problem afterwards.... really frustrating.
I have the latest model iMac with a bluetooth keyboard. Thinking back, it alway took a few days until the problem occurred , but once it started, it happened several times a day. A reboot usually fixed it, at least for 30 minutes or an hour....
Then it occurred to me that it maybe the battery power in the keyboard which somehow might have to do with it. I connected my iMac with to a different keyboard (an older version with a cord) and low and behold, the problem has not come up once since. It is like the problem was never there in the first place. 18 months later and I might have found a fix...
Currently recharging the batteries for the bluetooth keyboard and then I'll try that one again. Once the problem will show up again, I will look at the keyboard battery charge and see at what charge the problem showed up. I will repeat that a few times to see if there is a pattern. Until then, my old keyboard seems to be a perfect fix. 48 hours without problems and counting....

R_Kohrs
New Contributor

Follow up on my own post...
After charging batteries for the bluetooth keyboard, I used it (very little) for about 24 hours. After awaking my computer this morning, I immediately experienced the same problem, unresponsive keyboard and/or random sign input. The old problem was back. I then removed the bluetooth keyboard and plugged in the board with cord. The problem was gone immediately, I did not even have to reboot the computer.
The problem therefore lies with the bluetooth keyboard. I have another bluetooth board in my house that is being used with an iPad. I will use that one for a while and see what happens...
If the problem occurs again, then it must have to do with the bluetooth connectivity, if the problem does not come up again with the different bluetooth board, then the problem lies within the old board itself.
Either way, for now, using the board with the cord... problem free!

juancano
New Contributor

Hi; new here. I just started experiencing the Keyboard not working on a MacBookPro 15" 2.8 GHz running Sierra. It hasn't had any issues with the keyboard for the last 2 years, and then yesterday this has started happening every time the MacBook Pro is 'undocked' and connected back in. Only a hard start seems to resolve it. I will test another keyboard as well.

Woofter70
New Contributor

Hello, new as well here and to Macs in general. I just got a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 Ghz running High Sierra (just did latest update) that was completely clear or formatted other that the OS. I've literally used this machine a week but twice now after the screen has went dim (like its supposed to from power options) or asleep I am unable to click using the trackpad after I wake it. I can move the mouse but not click and I can't type or get the computer to respond with any keys being pushed except holding down the power button. I am hoping this is a software issues since I bought this used. Any help or direction would be much appreciated!

dearvoid
New Contributor

MacBook Air 2014, High Sierra (10.13.3)

In the past few months I had this problem for quite a few times and I have it today.

After my macbook wakes up from sleep, in the login window (where users' icons are shown) I can click my account icon and it prompts for the password but I cannot input anything. All keys stop working. All I can do is press POWER and reboot and the problem will be gone.

Searched in Google and so many people have the problem. Wondering why Apple cannot fix it.

Brightbear78
New Contributor

I am no techy, but I also have encountered this problem, and it is ever since installing High Sierra on my mac book pro 2010. As with so many others here, it resets the keyboard and trackpad to normality when I hit the PRAM reboot, or use an old external keyboard with usb cable. This is unsatisfactory and I hope there is a software fix coming soon.