MS Office 14.3.2 update strips your volume license if Office was never launched

alanmcseveney
New Contributor

I just installed Office with our Volume license installer on a clean OS X 10.8.3, then 14.1.0, then 14.3.2. The last update blew away the license, leaving me at the serialization wizard on first launch. It were as though no license had ever been present.

I started again, and launched Outlook after the initial installation of Microsoft Office, then applied the updates. The product retained it serial number, and prompted me to upgrade the database.

This is a big problem if one intends to roll out Office 14.3.2 to new machines.

Can anyone else confirm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ernstcs
Contributor III

You my friend need to download an updated main installer for like version 14.2.0, then you should be able to jump right to 14.3.2 (which you can do from 14.1.0, but that thing sucks). The 14.2.0 installer also helped eliminate the losing license issue, as well as the subsequent patches.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nessts
Valued Contributor II

pretty sure you have to put 14.2.3 on as well.
but that is essentially the process i use.

ernstcs
Contributor III

You my friend need to download an updated main installer for like version 14.2.0, then you should be able to jump right to 14.3.2 (which you can do from 14.1.0, but that thing sucks). The 14.2.0 installer also helped eliminate the losing license issue, as well as the subsequent patches.

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

This is a known issue with the 14.1.x and earlier volume license installers. Download the latest volume license installer from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center.

scottb
Honored Contributor

As nessts said, if you apply all the needed updates to go from your base installer to 14.3.2, it should work. We just built one that way and it retained our company license just fine. Although getting a newer installer sure sounds like a good idea as well.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

There is a 14.3.0 installer on the Microsoft Volume Licensing site. You could start new installs with that, along with the 14.3.2 Updater. I'm pretty sure I have not seen any issues with that combination.

Alternatively, you could package up the /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist file from a known working configuration, and then add it to your current configuration and/or policy that installs Microsoft Office 2011, and have the licensing file package installed after your main Office 2011 installer and updater(s) have completed.

I've used both methods successfully.

~Ted