MS Office SP2 (14.2.0)

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I'm finding that the 14.2.0 package from Microsoft isn't working when pushed with Casper. Logs show a successful installation, but clients stay on version 14.1.4. Anyone else play with it yet?

66 REPLIES 66

nessts
Valued Contributor II

same thing here, you might need to make sure firefox, system prefs any microsoft app are not running, when i ran the interactive version it then showed me FF was running and the database deaemon
and then it quit those from the graphical install. i have not gotten around to figuring out the answer for sure but those are my guesses.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I'm having the problem with the client computer sitting at a login window so I don't think it's related to having applications open. I am noticing that Microsoft released this update as a pkg file as opposed to it's previous use of mpkg's. Since the package seems to be a container for many smaller packages, I tried renaming the file to an mpkg. Didn't make a difference, however.

talkingmoose

Is anyone seeing anything in the logs? Any errors or do the logs reports successful installations?

FYI, this update will rebuild your Outlook identity the first time the updated application is launched. Users with large identities could have to wait 10-20-30 minutes or more. Be sure to plan this roll out.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

I've had mixed results with using the package as-is when directly downloaded from Microsoft. In the past, I've had to modify the distribution.dist included in the package to not install the Office2011_all_quit_VERSION_combo.pkg before it would work without a user logged in to the computer. I can't confirm if that's the problem with this version as well because I haven't tested yet, but it's a place to start looking.

talkingmoose

The new Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg file doesn't install properly from the basic command line either using:

sudo installer -pkg "/path/to/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg" -target /

I'm escalating this to my contacts at Microsoft.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

hey, if you escalate the issue, tell them to stop using python's popen to prevent deprecation warnings in install logs when their scripts run.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

may be related to this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/munki-dev/MbNCxvf-NfQ

looks like poorly crafted postflight scripts…

plawrence
Contributor II

I just tried making a new snapshot with Composer, I installed Office 2011, then SP1, then SP2. When I open any office product, I am prompted for a Product Key! We have a volume license and I have never had to enter a key before.

talkingmoose

@nate I can pass along the information but I don't understand the issue. Python's outside my scripting knowledge.

ibayssari
New Contributor II

same issue... any idea when this would be fixed? does anyone have a work around?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Ah lovely... what Microsoft fix-eth on one hand they take-eth away on the other.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

@william

it's not a show-stopper, but you get errors like this in the logs:

DeprecationWarning: The popen2 module is deprecated. Use the subprocess module.
from popen2 import Popen3

awhile back, i combed through their various scripts, replacing those references with calls to subprocess, and it worked fine. don't want to have to do that again. the issue's been present for awhile they just need to update their scripts.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Guys, we had a few users report failures and lost data.

Surfing around I noticed this post on MacEnterprise:

Diane Ross dianeoforegon@LIVE.COM wrote: Service Pack 2 (SP2) will upgrade the Outlook Identity. We are seeing reports about bad upgrades and/or lost data after upgrading. Be sure to backup the Identity and the Microsoft Office folder prior to updating to SP2! One user reported the following: After the auto updater updated my Office 2011 mac version to 14.2.0, my outlook identity said that it needed to upgrade (after the re-boot). The upgrade fails saying that the identity needs to be repaired. The Database repair utility fails saying that the database is from an older version and I need to use the older version of the repair utility. -- Diane Ross Office Mac Help http://www.office.mvps.org/ OfficeforMacHelp http://www.officeformachelp.com/

Back up...back up...back up...

--
https://donmontalvo.com

waderobson
New Contributor III

I was getting the

/bin/sh /private/tmp/dmg.b4SpfY/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg/Contents/Resources/clean_path 7985 /private/tmp/com.microsoft.updater.root.1334263904381

Errors coming up while installing in terminal. Then I just removed the clean_path
Script from the resources in the package and now it installs.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

has anybody reported this to Microsoft to see if they would fix it?
half the time the GUI installer is not working for me either.

talkingmoose

@nessts

I've made the folks at Microsoft aware of the issues regarding the SP2 installer. They asked for links to JAMF's forums as well as munki and DeployStudio so that they could understand the issues better. That was on Friday morning.

Keep in mind that the SP2 update was released late last Thursday. They'll need time to rejigger whatever got misjiggered. I'm not thinking "months" or several weeks but I'm also not expecting anything within the next day or two either. I would be happy with late next week but that may even be too soon.

Anyone with a Microsoft TAM can voice his concerns that way. We can all use the Help menu --> Send Feedback... tool in any Office application to let them know that way as well.

martyuiop
New Contributor

I don't know if Microsoft will be much help on this.
All of the following are after a clean image followed by an install of Office 2011, the 14.0.2, 14.1.0, 14.1.4 updates.

When deploying the 14.2.0 update via casper, both the casper and local machine logs show the update as successful, however when opening Office it still states the version as 14.1.4

When deploying the update manually either through the GUI or through "sudo installer -pkg PATH -target /" it works without an issue.
This is true both of running the installer while at the login prompt or while logged in to an account.

In summary, it is only not installing when running from casper.

talkingmoose
When deploying the update manually either through the GUI or through "sudo installer -pkg PATH -target /" it works without an issue.

GUI works for me but on a Snow Leopard and Lion machine but the command line installer tool failed on both even though it reported "success".

The 14.2.0 update is a .pkg file where earlier installers and updates were .mpkg files. But the updater isn't a flat package. Microsoft tried something different or new and it appears to have a higher percentage of failure than I've seen before. The munki forums are reporting their own issues, which I suspect are related to the new composition of the updater.

macninja
New Contributor

I've tried various ways to get 14.2 to install using Casper. They all report that the update has installed successfully but the version remains at 14.1.4.

I finally gave up and pushed it through ARD and the update worked. However I got database errors when I launched Word and Outlook wouldn't let me do a database rebuild.

Restarting sorted those issues and the Outlook database (2gb) rebuilt/updated in less than 10 minutes.

I'll keep trying to get the update to work via Casper but for the time being I'll be deploying through ARD.

michaelweingart
New Contributor

Topic 1

DeprecationWarning ? while no user logged in

we patch the preinstall (14.2.0) or preflight ( 14.1.<x>) Scripts in the sub-package Office2011_all_quit_14.<y>.<x>.combo.pkg (path: Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg/Contents/Packages/Office2011_all_quit_14.2.0.combo.pkg/Contents) in the following way:
------- original -----
/usr/bin/w | /usr/bin/grep -e "console" | /usr/bin/grep -v grep > /dev/null
if [ $? == 1 ]
then exit 0
fi
-------- replace with ---
CONSOLE_OWNER=ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'
if [ $CONSOLE_OWNER != "root" ] ; then
---------------

and add an

---------------
fi
---------------

at the end of the script.

Topic 2

Installation fails during 14.2.0 update

we start the distribution by caching the Package Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg by casper policy

afterwards in a second policy we

install the package by
/usr/sbin/installer -target / -lang de -pkg /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg

cleaning the Waitingroom by
/bin/rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg"
/bin/rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg.cache.xml"

simulate the Package Receipts by
touch "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg"

The three steps are embedded in one script which is launched by the second policy.

Question
We are working with JAMF Software Server (JSS) Version 8.22.
Did anybody observe the Installation failure of Office 14.2.0 with Verison 8.51?

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

i edited the .dist as pepijn outlines here:

http://enterprisemac.bruienne.com/2012/04/16/fixing-microsoft-office-2011-sp2-deployment-for-munki/

it seemed to work in testing, though the install also wiped the site license prefs. i can add those back, but i won't be deploying this until MS fixes their ish…

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, we've decided to not touch this update until Microsoft fixes it. Its basically broken and we're not interested in coming up with all kinds of monkey business workarounds to get around their busted updater.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@mm2270 Burned. Once.

Won't. Touch. With. Ten. Foot. Pole.

--

taugust04
Valued Contributor

After reading this thread, I decided to re-package a full Office 2011 install, updated to 14.2, and use my own pre-install uninstall script. So far in limited testing in just my IT group it's working okay.

Microsoft installers have never been known to be the best in terms of reliability. There's always been some kind of tweak required to get it to work, based on previous experience.

~Ted

Not applicable

Dragged the 14.2.0 pkg into Admin, has been installing at startup for me so far:

/usr/sbin/jamf is version 8.43
Executing Policy Office 2011 14.2.0 Update TEST...
Mounting afp://chicago.g2.com/CasperShare to /Volumes/CasperShare...
Copying Office 2011 14.2.0 Update...
Installing Office 2011 14.2.0 Update...
Successfully installed Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.
Unmounting file server...
Running Recon...
Searching Additional Path: /Users/
Gathering Application Usage Information...
Finding Extension Attributes...

nessts
Valued Contributor II

yeah but are the apps actually updated, thats the problem.

MikeF
Contributor II

I am getting same the results. Casper reports successful installs but version stays at 14.1.4. If the package is installed manually I have had about 50% that have had a database error but it repaired it. So for us this is not going to be deployed until Microsoft gets it fixed.

DavidPelton
New Contributor

Attempts to do a command line install on Lion are failing due to the script to clean up the temporary folder used to hold the bits during installation. This issue can also occur on any OS if multiple command line installs are being done at the same time.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and looking to remedy it, but in the meantime, the following steps will allow you to edit the offending script and carry on with your deployment.

1. Open the 14.2.0 updater DMG
  2. Drag the Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg to your desktop
  3. CTRL+Click on the Office 2011 14.2.0 Update.pkg and choose Show Package Contents from the contextual menu
  4. Navigate to the Resource folder from within the Contents folder.
  5. Open the clean_path script with any text editor
  6. On the second line (a blank line) add this text exit 0
  7. Save the script and then run your installation with this modified pkg

Your final code should look like this:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

We recommend that you restart after this installation to remove the temporary folder from the machine and avoid potential update problems in the future if the temporary folder still existed.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

David Pelton
Release Test Lead, Microsoft Macintosh group.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@DavidPelton Thanks a million for reaching out to the JAMF community with a fix!

If you need some testers, some of us have LAB environments and enjoy blowing things up for vendors. ;)

Don

--

kstrick
Contributor III

@DavidPelton Hey, when's that Lync Update coming out? ;)

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

@DavidPelton...

I second that... When's that Lync update coming out????

bazcurtis
New Contributor III

Microsoft have pulled this service pack for the time being.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/04/20/corrupted.identities.lead.to.suspension/

Matt
Valued Contributor

We have the Lync Beta patch. It finally allows SSLVPN (Juniper) and Lync to play nice.

DavidPelton
New Contributor

The Lync 14.0.2 updater is now live. Thank you for your patience waiting for it.

David

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester
The Lync 14.0.2 updater is now live. Thank you for your patience waiting for it. David

TY David.

Can we please have a link to the download?.. autoupdate is not seeing it & i can't find it on MS's Download centre:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=Microsoft%20Lync%20for%20MaC

talkingmoose

You might start with your Microsoft volume license site and see if it's there.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Yep no luck there either..

Ernesto
New Contributor

We are running OS10.6.8 and we also had difficulties push out the Office update 14.2 through Casper. We finally got it to work by take a snapshot without office 2011 installed, then install a fresh copy of office 2011 and than update it to Office 14.2. We captured the installation and the file size was about 1GB. We pushed it out as a cashed package and installed it on login and it works. We have tested this on several computers with great success. One did error but we think its user error. When trying to launch Outlook for the first time it ask you to reboot and the user did not. I hope this work around helps you.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I do the same thing. I capture a clean install and it works everytime.