multiple Infrastructure Managers

matthias_bretz
New Contributor III

Hi, as we are experiencing some issues with our Jamf Infrastructure Manager I thought maybe I should set it up from scratch again.

My Idea was to set up a new one connect it to Jamf Pro. After successful registration in Jamf Pro, switch the used LDAP Proxy in the LDAP-settings. And after success remove the old.

Does anyone know if Jamf Pro supports multiple JIMs? Has anybody done something similar?

Kind regards, Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

steve_summers
Contributor III

@matthias_bretz I can confirm that Jamf Pro supports multiple JIM's, since we have 2 running in our environment presently: A primary and a backup.  

What you would need to do is, look at the documentation and "stop" the Jim service running on the one you want to pull down after you "start" the Jim service on the new one.  This stopping/starting will not impact your ability to remotely connect to one of them if you needed to get back into it and restart the service.  

Anyway.  I hope that makes sense.  Good luck. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

talkingmoose

The method you described should work just fine. I’m fairly certain you can enroll more than one JIM with Jamf Pro, but you can only associated one JIM at a time to an LDAP Settings configuration.

steve_summers
Contributor III

@matthias_bretz I can confirm that Jamf Pro supports multiple JIM's, since we have 2 running in our environment presently: A primary and a backup.  

What you would need to do is, look at the documentation and "stop" the Jim service running on the one you want to pull down after you "start" the Jim service on the new one.  This stopping/starting will not impact your ability to remotely connect to one of them if you needed to get back into it and restart the service.  

Anyway.  I hope that makes sense.  Good luck. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

One thing to watch out for when upgrading a JIM install where the LDAP configuration had "Use SSL" enabled but a certificate was not installed (yeah, it makes no sense but it was possible) is that configuration no longer works with the latest JIM.

Jason33
Contributor III

I'm moving production servers (long story) and this week had to upgrade JIM to version 2.3.1 and Amazon Corretto to 11.0.16.8.1 to patch some vulnerabilities that came up on a report.  Now, my legacy Jamf Pro cannot reliably maintain a connection to the LDAP server - it disables.  I've reapplied the certificate, and that worked for a day, then lost connection again.  Now when I try to reapply the cert, it continues to fail.  Our new JIM is using the same cert, same JIM version, but I have not yet updated Corretto, and the Jamf Pro server it is pointing to is having no issues with LDAP.  I'm tempted to roll back the Corretto version on the old one to see if that fixes it; short of deleting the LDAP group and user accounts and then nuking the LDAP settings and recreating all that, I'm out of other ideas to try