Multiple VPP Facilitator Accounts and Managed Distribution

andyparkernz
New Contributor III

For our VPP distribution we created 2 VPP facilitator accounts, following Apple's advice that different faciliator accounts could be created for different building/schools/departments.

When we sign into these 2 faciliator accounts, we receive a different token for each account.

Apple's profile manager only allows one token to be uploaded - Apple say that they can't merge to accounts to get one token - does anyone have any solutions so that we can 'unify' our purchases so that we can use one server for Managed Distribution of the Apps?

8 REPLIES 8

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I sent an email to my Apple SE about this last week and have not gotten a response. Just resent. Will update the thread when I hear back.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

We are in the same boat. Many of our schools have their own VPP accounts, as we want them to handle making purchases themselves once they buy their credit through our IT department. We are likely to stick with code distribution and redemption using and aliased email account to the school's main email address. This has worked well for use coupled with Configurator.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

If you are fine with continuing to use Configurator, I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

I'm looking to remove Configurator from my workflow if at all possible, so am following this topic closely.

My Apple SE spoke to his Consulting Engineers and says this:

"I'm being told... Yes, this is technically feasible. Supposedly, some MDM vendors are already starting to investigate adding this functionality. "

chris

nethers
Contributor

Have you received any updates?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I spoke to a software manager at JAMF and the multiple tokens will be supported. I think they are planning on implementing for 9.4? The release after the one they are currently working on. Some testing is being done and there is a list to be on the beta, if you ask your support rep.

chris

nethers
Contributor

Was anyone able to revert their codes? I was told by JAMF Support that Apple could revert the codes back to VPP from tokens but Apple's response was:

*Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to revert back to codes once they have been transferred to Managed Distribution. It's a permanent change and the codes are not longer usable and must be deployed via Managed Distribution. I'm sorry if you were misinformed, and I hope your deployment goes well next year.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

(Removed Name)
? Volume Purchase Program & iTunes U Support Team*

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

In case this helps, here is a question of mine I asked to VPP support, and the answer. If the apps are already deployed you may be ok for now.

Q) I am unclear what happens to an iPad with an app that was previously deployed with a VPP code via Configurator. What happens when the code is converted to Managed? Do the apps stop working? Do I need to make sure to unassign them in Configurator before this?

A) No, you don't need to do anything to the iPads. The app will continue working on an iPad to which is it already deployed, but the license will be converted to "managed distribution" and you'll be able to assign the license to a particular Apple ID.

nethers
Contributor

9.3 says Managed Distribution is now supported. Where do I find anything about Managed Distribution in the JSS?