NetSUS- Can't load data from the Software Update Server

AdamH
New Contributor II

So its been recommended that I try using NetSUS.
I'v installed it on our CentOS server and seems to be functioning from the back-end.
I'm getting all the updates synced and can create branches.
However when I set a client to the NetSUS server, I get "An Error Occurred - Can't load Data from the Software Update Server"
I'm assigning via network segment using Casper0749814408b8459190ee968ca46be493
There aren't too many settings in NetSUs itself; any ideas where to start looking?

3 REPLIES 3

mattware
Contributor

Are you sure you have the catalog address correct? What exactly are you using for it?

roiegat
Contributor III

Having been knee deep in NetSUS's the last two weeks I feel your pain. It's a lot to take in learning wise. So here's some advice I would offer:

1) Check the link your setting you clients to in a browser and make sure you see data come up. 2) Make sure you have your packages selected in the branch

So for our company we use the direct link to the yosemite catalog by doing the following:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate catalogURL http://XX.XX.XXXX/content/catalogs/others/index-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1_main.sucatalog

Good luck!

AdamH
New Contributor II

I'm trying to use this NetSUS in order to serve Apple Software updates without having to host the update files but still be able to select which updates I want available. Originally I just wanted Casper to set the SUS bit it seems that using config profiles and the specific path per OS works nicely!
I still haven't been able to set it up in Casper as a SUS, but with config profiles I'm not sure I need to.