NetSUS/reposado Replicas

sateshb
New Contributor III

I have two NetSUS instances in my environment and they work great to approve and deploy updates however I find myself having to manually approve updates on each servers since the both host a production catalog.

Is there an option to setup a master and replica scenario?

7 REPLIES 7

sateshb
New Contributor III

anyone?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sateshb There's no concept of primary and secondary, but you might be able to set up a secondary NetSUS and use rsync to copy files to it from your primary. Just don't configure the secondary to check for updates.

sateshb
New Contributor III

Thanks @sdagley , i'll give that a shot and see how feasible it is

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@sateshb Since the SUS part of NetSUS is Reposado, you might try asking in the Reposado Google Group

sateshb
New Contributor III

Thanks for your responses @sdagley, I was able to put this together and the parts seem to fit well.

Recently noticed a sync issue where new updates were not being downloaded, its a known issue and there is a fix. Apple changed something and we need to modify our process to compensate -_-

The fix can be found HERE, it comes down to pulling down the new repo_sync file and deleting some files referenced in the reposado_sync.log

gabester
Contributor III

I can't speak to NetSUS' implementation of Reposado and I don't know whether a parent/child inheritance is something officially supported with Reposado (I think it is intended to work this way), but I can say that I did successfully implement such a solution several years ago; parent called out to Apple and pulled down everything, the child instances called out to the parent and pulled down JUST the actual macOS and core app updates, maybe 10-15GB instead of 150+GB when you include all the content for the Apple Pro video content. The child servers were shared Windows DPs and the content was on IIS, the hardest part was figuring out the HTTP rewrite rules on IIS to redirect all the different versions of macOS supported at the time (I think we're talking Snow Leopard through Mavericks/Yosemite timeframe.)

afarnsworth
Contributor

I would also keep in mind that Apple is deprecating the ability to use a custom catalog URL in Big Sur so NetSUS will no longer be an option in the future.