Netsus Webadmin user missing

ndespres
New Contributor

When I tried to log in to the netsus webadmin console today, for the first time in a few months, nothing happened at the login screen. After clicking the login button, the page is just refreshed. No errors, whether the login is correct or incorrect (I've never changed from the default).

When I sign in using ssh as shelluser, there's no home directory for webadmin, nor any entry in /etc/passwd (not sure if this is normal).

The auth files for netsus refer to the config entries coming from /var/appliance/conf/appliance.conf.xml (is this where the webadmin user/pass is stored?) But this file is empty! Last modified today, when the server was rebooted safely.

Any suggestions? I'd like to not have to reinstall if possible. If the only thing at fault here is the empty config file, can someone show me what theirs looks like so I can recreate?

13 REPLIES 13

ironjackflint
New Contributor

I seem to be having this issue as well. Did you have to reinstall netsus?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This may a different issue than what you're experiencing, but I recently wasn't able to log into my NetSUS appliance after not having used it for a few weeks. In my case, I just shut down and started up the VM again. It seems it was running low on available memory and that was causing login to fail.
I've seen other threads here on NetSUS that indicate low disk space can also cause logins to fail, for example, if you're using it as a SUS and it fills most of the virtual disk with downloaded updates.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Hmm...same problem here, I wonder if that's what is happening to me? I'll have to check the vdisk.

ironjackflint
New Contributor

ok, sounds like a plan. i'll increase the partition and see how it goes before I rebuild. will let you know.

Backas
New Contributor

I have this issue as well. I have converted NetSUS to run on VMWare Fusion, to run it under my OS X Server. I have increased the disk to 130 GB, but no matter what, I cannot login to NetSUS as webadmin.

Edit: OK, I see that it cannot start since it claims that disk is full.

external image link

How can I set the VM to use the new space?

Best regards

Kostas

rickgmac
Contributor

I had the same issue. Even though you have added the extra space, you need to tell the system about the extra space and expand the volume. From the picture it is still showing the default size.

This is a basic guide

http://www.tomvernon.co.uk/blog/2010/07/increasing-partition-size-on-a-vmware-linux-virtual-machine/

Backas
New Contributor

Thank you!

I will check this and post back.

Best

Kostas

Backas
New Contributor

Well, I checked.

I cannot resize the Ubuntu partition with GParted live iso, because it is lvm. Can someone share how to?

Best regards

Kostas

rickgmac
Contributor

Try this

Extend your disk in vmare

login as root/sudo
fdisk /dev/sda (or whatever your disk happens to be)
enter "n" to create new partition, and fill in the details
** Primary partition, number 3 should be free so use that
** First cylinder just hit enter, and same for last (this uses the whole disk)
enter "w" to write the table and then reboot for it to take affect
login again as root/sudo
pvcreate /dev/sda3 (or whatever partition you created, this creates a physical extent to be added to a volume group)
vgdisplay and find your volume group that you want to extend, generally its called "ubuntu"
vgextend ubuntu /dev/sda3 (this extends the volume group Ubuntu using the physical extent /dev/sda3)
verify it extended by running vgdisplay again (You should see Free PE / Size and it will be whatever amount you extended the disk by)
lvextend /dev/ubuntu/root /dev/sda3 ( this extends the volume using the physical volume you added earlier /dev/<vgname>/<lvname> )
* resize2fs /dev/ubuntu/root (this extends the filesystem to the new size of the volume)

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Chiming in; had the same thing happen today (webadmin seems to have vanished) however it's reporting that i'm using less than 1% of my available 200GB storage, which doesn't seem possible. No luck so far.

Philsto
New Contributor II

This just happened to me, after a couple of days of an upgrade to 3.0. Not sure if that's relevant, but logged in via SSH and ran $ cat /etc/passwd |grep "/home" |cut -d: -f1 and confirmed no webadmin user.

Was there ever any resolution to this?

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

It's possible to change the name/password of the webadmin user. You can reset it, but I recommend you contact support. It requires resetting the password manually with a hash for a known password.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I just saw this issue for the first time here on my NetSUS VM.

/ is at 100% (no free space). I will expand my VM's storage, etc - but why would the local 'webadmin' user account just disappear?