Network accounts resetting

eagleone
New Contributor

We have a set of cart computers that are used by our advanced technology classes. They are all on OS 10.12. These computers are bound to our domain, but have local accounts. Students sign in using a generic "period1", "period2", etc. accounts because there is only one user per semester and we are a primarily Chrome environment anyway as all students have Chromebooks.

Unfortunately, we have 3-4 of the 24 computers that are occasionally erasing the "period1" account and resetting it along with all settings and even the wallpaper. All of the other user accounts are working fine. Also, there are some individual accounts on the devices such as those belonging to teachers that have been unaffected.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this and why? Could it be a keychain issue, OR maybe the user may not be signing out before moving to the next class. I may just delete the user from the computer, but I still need to use a file recovery software to get the files back.

4 REPLIES 4

eagleone
New Contributor

Hate to bump this, but...

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

eagleone
New Contributor

@AVmcclint I'm not so sure it isn't. It only does it on one user. File recovery software cannot get the files back. I'll see what I can do using info from the linked thread and get back to you.

eagleone
New Contributor

OK...this is an interesting development. We have asked our first period class which was using the period1 user account to log in using period2. Random computers have now started resetting the period2 accounts. The period6 accounts, to my knowledge have not reset at all. I have looked back through the logs in Console and see nothing out of the ordinary. I could really use some help here...