Network / system / server Monitoring in the office

PAC
Contributor

Looking into setting up a Monitoring solution on the walls of our IT office to keep an eye on the servers, the network and certain server statistics and of course a dashboard of JAMF

Was wondering what setups other techs have and what solutions they use.
Things like

what kind of screens?
how many monitors?
Whats software do they use?
What info do they collect?

Any info would be very helpful during my research stage.

Cheers Pete

7 REPLIES 7

raybanks
New Contributor II

On campus, a lot of us have our own instances of Zabbix. You can customize notifications, "escalations", what is considered downtime, what is considered critical... AND... If you've got some money... You can throw in a GSM module to send text notifications rather than using e-mail...

WBS
New Contributor III

I use PRTG i set up a free version and liked it so much we bought it( free version is full for 30 days then its limited to 100 sensors) It tells me when anything i want goes down currently it monitors all of our switch ports and the switch itself as well as all of our core items and servers. Love it and it works great.

Kedgar
Contributor

Check out https://www.opsview.com/. It's the best nagios-based monitoring software I've ever used.

matthewnativida
New Contributor

@raybanks did you setup JAMF Pro with Zabbix monitoring? I am trying to set up on our end.

rickgmac
Contributor

@WBS Do you use PRTG for JAMF as well?

WBS
New Contributor III

@rickgmac I dont have it monitoring JSS at this time, I guess i could but honestly i have it monitor the host of the jss vm so its fine. I havnt had any issues with our jss since i moved it to a windows vm. I have never had any issues with PRTG, It does exactly what i need it to. If anything i need to upgrade the sensor count from our 500 to like 1000 so i can add more switches/servers. Its just not a high priority at this time.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We have a very large InFocus TV/PC that is hanging on the wall in our office. It has multiple PRTG windows open so we can monitor stuff. For JSS, we have the DB and JSS Primary server Load Average graphs showing. When the primary starts running anything above 4 we know it the Tomcat instance is going down soon.