New Netboot image not connecting to casper share

RLR
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I've just created a new netboot image using the autocaspernbi tool. I can boot to the netboot image and casper imaging automatically starts but it fails to connect to the casper share. I still have the old netboot image available and that works absolutely fine. Does anyone know why the new image might be failing to connect to the casper share?

Edit: We're using a windows share (SMB) if that changes anything.

6 REPLIES 6

rhoward
Contributor

Did you check to make sure the url is correct while it connects? What do the logs show?

RLR
Valued Contributor

Yep. The url is correct — the same distribution point connects on the older netinstall image. I will have a look at the logs tomorrow when I'm back in work. Do you know where I can find the log files.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I encountered this a couple versions ago. For me, it turned out to be the system clock for the netbooted system was way out of sync with the server's clock. I could manually set the clock before running Casper Imaging to make it work, but I ended up using Options > Advanced> Time Server in AutoCasperNBI to sync with our internal network time server since our network security folks are blocking time.apple.com at the firewall. Hopefully your problem is as easy to solve.

don_cochran
New Contributor III

Does your new NetBoot image have the correct permissions. We had a similar issue and correcting the permissions resolved the problem.

RLR
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I've changed the time to sync with our servers clock. This hasn't changed anything.

@don.cochran I'm unsure which permissions these are. I've imaged a MAC with the netboot image to test a few more things. One thing I have tried is manually browsing to the share with Go > Connect to Server > Enter share path > Prompts for username and password. It tries to connect then gives me this error message.

e4f71dc8159146fa8184fd3189ef6650

We still have the old Netinstall image which works fine. I tested the same method (Go > Connect to Server > Enter share path > Prompts for username and password) and it works with the old image. The only difference I know of is one runs Mavericks and the new one is El Capitan.

Any other suggestions? I might try re-create the netinstall image from scratch.

don_cochran
New Contributor III

The permissions for the netboot image on the server have to be correct. a5bd8f68266f4868a6e6ec0aae5a07e2