New Netboot Server

stev0232
New Contributor

We are currently in the process of trying to replace our legacy Netboot server (Ubuntu Netsus Appliance running version 2 of the Netsus application). I have installed the Netsus application (version 4.1.0) on a server running RHEL 7 and with a bit of tweaking I've managed to get it fairly functional. I am now trying to netboot a MacBookPro (Late 2012) and am unable to get it working. I boot up the Mac holding down option, I can see the name of my netboot. When I select the Netboot, it sits there for quite a while then proceeds to boot into the currently installed OS. If I boot up the Mac and hold down N, I get the flashing globe for a while then it proceeds to boot into the currently installed OS.

I don't believe anything is being blocked at a firewall level ( I have investigated this with our network guys).

I have tried multiple netboot images running 10.12.5 and 10.12.6 (all built through AutoCasperNBI). I can confirm that restoring the Netboot.dmg to a USB drive and booting from that works correctly. The 10.12.5 nbi is also working correctly on our legacy Netboot server.

For security and management reasons we are restricted to RHEL for the server so MacOS or Ubuntu are not valid options in our environment.

Any suggestions??

2 REPLIES 2

Asnyder
Contributor III

Are you trying to netboot across vlans? If so you'll need to setup IP helpers in your switches.

stev0232
New Contributor

We are netbooting across VLANs and the appropriate IP helper is in place. I can confirm than removing the IP helper prevents it finding the netboot in the option boot menu so the helper is definitely working.