New to Patch Management

CLG
Contributor

Hi All,

We are running JAMF Pro on the local server / on prem "Windows Server" (not the cloud version). I want to use the Patch management to update the Apps (Chrome, Firefox VLC Office apps etc..), macOS etc..

I'm new to this is there any way I can get some help to set up this? Article videos etc..

10 REPLIES 10

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Jamf Patch Management is pretty straight forward. Jamf maintains a list of "policies" with the appropriate extension attributes to manage patching. You upload a package, and define it as a specific version of an application, define the scopes and Jamf does the rest. Patch Management was replaced by Jamf "Mac Apps" last year so there is not much currently discussed on Patch Management. 

Is there anything specific you are needing to know or need help with?

https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/PatchManagement.html

Yep, It's Chrome Updates 🤣 I need to update Chrome on all the iMacs in our network using this service.
In the Mac app I can't find Chrome and The MacOS updates  (Please note that We are on on Prem server) our JAMF pro running on 11.7

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

It should be in there. If it's not pulling up when you search a for chrome when making a new policy you may have already created one. Patch Management will not let you have two policies for the same application.

AJPinto_0-1723076050948.png

Yes Did manage to set a policy Thanks

Do you know why I get this error? 

CLG_1-1723077573300.png

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I do not. Does it mount the DP for Policies?

If the network folks could be talked into it, you may want to consider configuring your DP to use HTTPS for downloads instead of SMB/AFP, the advantage of this is that HTTPS DP obviously no longer needs to be mounted for downloads. SMB works ok for me, but I've got qa decent relationship with the network guy and he's open to config changes. 

However if anything goes wrong during SMB usage, the policy just fails, if the same thing happens with HTTP, the jamf binary will just retry.

Also its may help to run the JET on the network to make sure all necessary connections are open, and the mac evaluation utility can sometimes give you better error reporting.

https://github.com/jamf/Jamf-Environment-Test/releases

https://beta.apple.com/it

Patch management does work for the most part. The information AJPinto provides is good; also i'd give the Jamf App Catalog a look. JSS-->Mac Apps-->Jamf App Catalog It has many mainstream apps and will handle patching for you as new versions, arrive, it auto installs configs to handle auto updating. 

If the apps were installed outside of the JAC beforehand, I'd remove them, and then instruct the JAC to install them, and set your updating prefs as you prefer.

If the objective is to stay on the latest version as it should be for browsers and meeting apps, etc. the JAC is more straightforward. Patch management is good if you wabt to stay on a cvertain version until testing has been completed. imo. 

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 8.41.03 PM.pngHope that helps

Have you seen this

CLG_0-1723081162954.png

I get this when I go for Mac Apps and try to create a new one

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Jamfs App Catalog is Jamf Cloud only unfortunately. :/

whiteb
Contributor II

Imo, there are many better ways to get apps patched than Patch Management + manual intervention. With patch management, you're tediously, repetitively uploading monolithic .pkg's for each app, every single time a new version comes out. That's a time sink. Also, let's say the vendor offers it as a .dmg with an .app inside.. you'd have to repackage it to a .pkg, adding even more time.

Mac Apps > Jamf App Catalog should work better by automating patching as well as making sure the latest version is always in Self Service. Though I've personally had mixed luck with Jamf App Catalog, so much that I try and avoid using it where I can. For me, apps would just get stuck on pending forever for deploying updates. Or would inexplicably error out and there are virtually no logs to see what happened.

Not much has changed in my experience since I posted in this thread: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/jamf-app-catalog-install-failures/m-p/310318

Another related thread: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/jamf-app-catalog-mac-apps-not-installing/m-p/293891

I mainly use Installomator for patching - https://github.com/Installomator/Installomator.

This has worked the most effectively for me, by far. Sometimes the 'labels' will break because a vendor changed a download URL, etc. But most of the time when I discover a broken label (which it's good to setup SMTP in Jamf so you're getting emails on every single failed policy run), and I go to the Issues tab or Pull Requests tab on GitHub, someone has already come up with an easy fix I can copy and paste. And if you're halfway decent with scripting, it's usually pretty easy to fix yourself.

Other than that, it's been my experience that different tools are sometimes more optimal for different apps.

I see you mentioned patching Google Chrome. We use Installomator to deploy it initially (Chrome Enterprise) and then use Chrome Browser Cloud Management (CBCM) to enforce compliance of updates. Also a config profile to force people to sign-in with their work account so they get other Google Admin Chrome policies. But mainly leveraging CBCM to serve built-in notifications that Chrome needs to be updated (they can defer the update initially) and then eventually it force relaunches to complete the update. It's pretty much the consensus of the Installomator community that that is the ideal way. Google releases multiple versions of Chrome every week, sometimes even multiple versions in a single day (three versions came out yesterday for example). That's too much work to manually try and keep up with.

Adobe Apps - We use Installomator to keep Creative Cloud up-to-date and invoke the Remote Update Manager tool to keep all the suite apps + Acrobat/Reader updated. In my experience works WAY more effectively than Jamf App Catalog.

I do have many software titles loaded into Patch Management, but only so I can build smart groups around each software title, so I can then target them with policies, etc. (I,e only deploy Zoom Installomator auto-update policy to a smart group of computers that patch management shows have out-of-date Zoom.)