Newest HP Printers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,
I have an interesting issue that I'm hoping to have some input on. I have been doing just fine with our existing printer setup with drivers and such. We run a bunch of different models(school district) of HP. My issue is with the newest models. HP is no longer posting the drivers to do the installs and push them with Casper, instead they are posting some garbage application that identifies the printer and then puts the drivers where they need to be. I have tried a capture after doing this yet on a test machine it always shows up as a generic with a message that I need to install the manufacture software. Anyone have any insight to this? The printers we are using are the M452 and the M402 newest models. Thanks!

Nate

91 REPLIES 91

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@donmontalvo If you use HP Easy Admin (not HP Easy Start) and search for your model, the application will download the correct driver in .pkg form, not .app.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

this HP Printer Driver Package 5.1 is 600MB versus the HP Printer essentials 226MB

I just need one for HP Laserjet 600 m602

I just downloaded the hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_6.pkg for the HP laserjet 600 m602 using the HP Easy Admin

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey All,
Anyone figure out what the SE/SJ/R...etc means in their packages?

Trying to troubleshoot a problem with a 452dn that won't print a color pdf on a mac but will print the same pdf on a windows computer. Its a large PDF and the error it throws in the logs state the printer ran out of memory, but on the windows machine it still prints fine. Really annoying. I've used the hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_6.pkg install for this, and their online documentation says to use the pcl6 driver with some checkbox turned off if we get the out of memory error.

Used to like HP over all other printer companies, starting to loath them.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@gshackney instead of using the hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_6.pkg try using the HP print driver 5.1.pkg.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@tcandela That driver bundle is no longer being maintained. Each day that passes becomes worse than the last while HP releases new models that are not supported by that older installer. The proper approach is to use HP Easy Admin. The app will provide you with the correct driver from HP.

@gshackney If HP Easy Admin is giving you a package that doesn't work under some condition, it's probably best to contact HP Support.

JesseNCSD
New Contributor III

Using HP Easy Admin is all fine and good unless it reports "We were not able to locate any software options for this product. Please go to the HP Website and search for the product solutions there." for the prosumer models purchased. This method, of course directs you to use the HP Smart printer utility. :/

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@mscottblake @JesseNCSD Have you opened the driver file downloaded by HP Easy Admin and opened it using the Pacifist.app?
I see a bunch of other folders and files that i wonder if they get installed along with the drivers. I'm installing the HP Laserjet 600 m602. This looks to not just install this models driver but a whole slew of other HP printer drivers. Just like how the HP bundle 5.1 installs many other HP printer model drivers.
But i wonder if all those other folders and files i see in pacifist get installed as well

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@tcandela Yes, the drivers from HP are almost exclusively bundle installers. It will install the drivers from each of the models you find in Pacifist.

If you are wanting something smaller, you will probably have to create your own installer.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@mscottblake I use the HP 5.1bundle.pkg instead of the HP easy essentials.pkg becuase first of all they both install the same driver version i need and because the 5.1bundle does not install the HP utility in /Applications/HP which i believe is the reason I get prompted for 'kernel extension' approval.

I tried both pkgs. and I don't get the HP folder installed in the /Applications and don't get the KEXT approve popup when using the 5.1 bundle.
using the HP essentialls .pkg i get both the HP utility installed in /Applications/HP/HP Utility and the KEXT approval popup.

They both install the same driver version 19.14

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@tcandela Thanks for the info however you will have to at some point create a profile to manage your KEXTs(we had to start for all our 10.14 installs) for any future installs. Also the drivers that you can download with HP Admin are much more current in most cases than the HP 5.1 drivers from 2 years ago (but also depends on the model of printer).

The issues we are currently having are not related to whether we use the 2018 apple pkg of 5.1 or HP admin downloaded drivers, it seems to be something specific in the way Mojave uses those drivers. On 10.12 we can print a somewhat large PDF on a color laser printer without issue. On a 10.14 machine, when we print the same pdf it seems to give a memory error back from the printer no matter which driver we try to use. This same PDF also prints fine on a PC running the most current windows version.

I'm now working with HP support to uncover where the issue may lie.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@gshackney Yep, I know about all that KEXT stuff, created config profiles for others i needed. The drivers installed by HP Admin and 5.1 bundle are the same version for the HP printer i needed to have installed. Only about 6 macs will be allowed to have this HP printer installed so will just stick with the 5.1 bundle and not have to deal with KEXT for this.

Not applicable

• To start with
">HP Printer setup
, at first, unpack the HP printer from the package by peeling off the tape stuck on the printer.
• Take out the printer from the box and check for the essential contents like the power connector, ink cartridges, setup poster, etc.
• After that, power up the printer by attaching the power cord to the printer and then to the electrical outlet.