No available volumes on this computer when using Composer

EliasG
Contributor

Trying to create OS Base Image. I am getting no available volumes on this computer.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Did you boot the system you are trying to make a base image of from an external bootable drive and run composer from that drive? If not, give that a try. But for building a nice clean never booted base OS DMG, you might want to try
AutoDMG over at https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG.

EliasG
Contributor

How would do I set that up as a bootable drive? I'm a newbie with Casper, I have been learning things on my own.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

If you don't already have an external bootable USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt drive you would need to create one to use with Composer. What OS are you trying to create a base image for?

Using the AutoDMG software is much easier though. The AutoDMG software will allow you to make a never booted base OS without the need for an external boot drive and the Composer software. For instance, if I were to want to create a base 10.9.2 OS image I would copy the AutoDMG software to the Applications folder on a computer with Mac OS 10.9.2 installed. Then copy the Install OS X Mavericks application to the Applications folder as well. Then launch the AutoDMG program. Drag and drop the Install OS X Mavericks into the AutoDMG window, then it will list any updates that need installed. Click the download button to download those. Once you have those downloaded you can click the build button assuming there aren't any other packages you want to add. I personally like to add all the 3rd part printer drivers that Apple makes available on their support site. Then it should ask you to name and save the file somewhere. That's pretty much it. Let it run and it will eventually give you a nice never booted 10.9.2 base OS.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You can also use Casper Admin & the I "Install Mavericks.app" to create a clean never booted OS.dmg as per:

http://macmule.com/2014/03/06/how-to-create-an-never-booted-os-dmg-using-casper-admin/

EliasG
Contributor

I figured it out that I have to place the image on another laptop or hard drive. Any idea how I can image more then 1 at a time? I have 260 laptops coming in.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Do you have a Netboot server? That's an option that some people use. Some people use target disk imaging and use some of their new computers as imaging stations. Without a bit more information about your environment, it's hard to say what method might work.