Number of machines imaged

sgoetz
Contributor

Hey Jamfnationers!!

Does anyone know how to make a report that tells you how many machines were imaged and re-imaged a week?

Thank you!

Shawn

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This may only be possible if you planned ahead. For example. have a script create a file on each Mac with its imaging date at the time its imaged. Then pick that data up in an Extension Attribute and later generate a report on it.

Otherwise, I'm not certain. But truthfully, as we don't use Casper Imaging where I am, I'm probably not the best person to tell you one way or the other. There may be something in each Mac's logs that can be pulled in some way into a report. I'm just not sure.

justinrummel
Contributor III

Try to see if there is anything unique within the /var/log/jamf.log for imaging. I don't have any machines imaged at my fingertips at this moment.

- Justin

Look
Valued Contributor III

Not quite the same thing...
But there is a field for Enrollment Date which would be a starting point of how many machines had been added to the JSS over a certain period.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Just had a look in /var/log/jamf.log on a client we imaged yesterday. The entries only start once the imaging process completed and the client rebooted.

There are some logs for imaging but I think they are only in the MySQL db, or perhaps syslog if you have that enabled. I can't see an API option for it unfortunately.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This is as I suspected, so thanks for the semi confirmation on that @davidacland. This is one of the reasons we continue to use DeployStudio for our imaging. DS creates a log file at the time of imaging on the Mac itself called ds_finalize.log. As long as that log remains on the Mac afterwards we can detect it and grab the creation date from the log using stat and convert it to a date format with the date command and plop it into an EA.
The fact that there's no easy way to know when a Mac was imaged from the Mac itself when its done via Casper Imaging seems silly to me.

sgoetz
Contributor

Thank you guys for your help on this. @mm2270 I did what you suggested. I have a postimage script that does a bunch of stuff already so I added in a line to that script to create a txt file with the date as the contents. I than use a EA to pull the contents of that file. I than use that EA in a Advance report for Less Than 7 days. So I know how many machines where imaged in the past 7 days. This should satisfy our Execs when we provide them the numbers... Hopefully :P

Thanks Shawn