Off Topic ARD Acting Terribly

Matt
Valued Contributor

Am I the only one struggling with ARD 3.5.1 and 10.7.3. Anytime a machine changes status I have to quit and reopen ARD to get access to the machines and it quits all the dang time. Is this just me????

12 REPLIES 12

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've been having troubles with ARD for some time. The latest is that the ARD service will spike to 300 % CPU and I have to shut it down. 3.5.1 on 10.7.3.

I also have a terrible time connecting to machines sometimes, but I think that might be a network issue.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've been having troubles with ARD for some time. The latest is that the ARD service will spike to 300 % CPU and I have to shut it down. 3.5.1 on 10.7.3.

I also have a terrible time connecting to machines sometimes, but I think that might be a network issue.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I happily haven't touched ARD since the day we got JAMF. What do you guys use it for that Casper Remote doesn't give you? Up/Down status?

Matt
Valued Contributor

Casper Remote is just Chicken of the VNC to me.

ARD has been a mess for a few revs but its almost not useable at this point.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I find it easier to use ARD than Casper Remote for two reasons:

1) If a machine has had an IP change and has not recon'd, I cannot get to it in CR.

2) I have several scripts saved in ARD that I use, and also like the ability to copy files to the machines by drag and drop in ARD.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Same as Steve. Also the ARD interface is much easier to arrange and manage for not Casper activities.

talkingmoose

Not just you, Matt.

I've found that I can remote or interact with a machine for a while and then it becomes "inactive". I can close and reopen most any of these machines remotely again (port 5900) but I can't do anything as sending a UNIX command or even copying a file by dragging into the window (port 3283).

This started sometime just before the 3.5.x updates, IIRC, and I've been applying all newer updates to ARD and the clients hoping one of them would fix this.

mrowell
Contributor

Have you tried resetting your task server?

I have a few times, on different ARD configs, reset the task server as follows:

Open ARD. Go to Remote Desktop, preferences, Task Server. Change it to use a remote task server. You can just put in dummy info here or simply your own computer IP. Then simply switch it back to "Use task server on this computer". Close preferences and then try copying to a remote machine.
(from Scooter MaGrooter's post at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3213196?start=0&tstart=0)

This resolved my ARD issues (copying files, installing packages etc).

talkingmoose

Not using a task server here.

mrowell
Contributor

I'm not using a separate task server either. My understanding is that ARD is a task server by default and the defined task server for clients can get out of sync with your ARD. By assigning and removing the task server, the settings are reset to the local ARD properly.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@mrowell You actually have to enable Task Server, it's off by default. Inherently flawed design, we never use it.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tcam
Contributor

I get that some times; I just get info on the computer record in ARD, delete the IP address from the computer record and save. this forced ARD to re-authticate with the client; giving me the correct Status.