Optional software installation workflow?

pchrichard
Contributor

Hi,

We currently use Self service for the majority of software installations, bar anti virus and asset inventory. I'd like to use DEP notify for more transparency over installations, but also introduce something into the workflow so AFTER enrolment, end users have both the visibility over installation/setup progress and can select which recommend applications to trigger - is this doable? Like checkboxes for print queues, MS Office, etc.

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So, it is possible to use DEPNotify for custom software installations/patch workflows, if that's what you're asking. I use it myself for both initial DEP type setups as well as with a custom patch workflow that uses it to show installation status.

As for the second part of your question, the only tool I know of that can show checkboxes, at least that isn't something custom developed, is cocoaDialog. But cocoaDialog is a dead project. Hasn't been updated for new OSes in many years now, so I wouldn't bother trying to use it for this purpose. But it did/does have a checkbox window style that I had used in a number of my own scripts in the past.

You could possibly use Applescript's list selection window style for this. It's possible to allow for multiple selections from a list view, so that would fit the purpose, even though it's less intuitive than checkboxes. You would have to develop a custom script that would pair up the selections made with custom policy event triggers to fire them off. Doable, yes. But I don't have an existing script example I can post here that would do this.

pchrichard
Contributor

Thanks, could you use DEP notify for two workflows - installing nothing, for example, and another for installing everything? How are these options presented to the end user?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@pchrichard Can you explain a little what you mean by installing nothing? Are you talking about showing progress for policies that don't install any software? Or did you mean something different?

ladygreyjedi
New Contributor III

The way I built out DEPNotify is it calls almost all software installs via Custom trigger. All of my policy scopes are assigned to specific departments and/or buildings. So people who have no business case to use Adobe CC won't get them, despite DEPNotify calling for their install.

pchrichard
Contributor

Some users would like a build with no software applied, relying completely on self-service. Other users would like us to install commonly required apps, such as Office, Chrome, central print queues, etc. That's essentially two different builds, and I'd like both to be selectable through DEP Notify, if possible. I.e. a drop down box or equivalent and depending on their choice, they get software or don't.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Yep, once you have scoped policy (I do it via department) you can add to this part of the depnotify script
e4826420f58641daaee975774f35d38b
There will then be a popup dialog field which can be selected from the Depnotify screen.
Hope that's clear, if not, ask and 'll try explain it further

pchrichard
Contributor

Thanks @kerouak - how do the pop up options relate to triggerable policies, and can you have the pop up appear after core software (anti virus, etc) has triggered?

kerouak
Valued Contributor

I'll come back to you tomorrow when I get in to work mate.
UK Time...
I'll try and explain it the best I can.
or
If you're in the UK, I'll be happy to email you my Mobile number and I can talk you through it?

kerouak
Valued Contributor

So, Create a Prestage Enrollment
Create a Smart group based on that
Create Depnotify Script with ALL applications in the 'policy Array"
Add 'core only" and "Full Image" to Popup4 in the script.
If not present- Add the line "$JAMF_BINARY" recon -department "$REG_POPUP_LABEL_4_VALUE" (with the quotes") at the end of popup 4 (see attachment)
89e2c93227bd438a8251c0c999c0b8c6
This will write back to the JSS and populate the 'Department' field
create a policy scoped to that smart group which installs Depnotify App and the Depnotify Script (Ensure script is set to . Priority "After"

Scope all policies to this Department i.e "full Image"

So, when DEpnotify runs and you choose from the popup, only the policies scoped to the particular department will be installed and the others skipped.

OR.....
Create 2 Prestage Enrollments and 2 Depnotify Scripts .
1 for Base and 1 for Full
Then just add devices to them as appropriate and you won't need to select a build, it would be automatic

Does that make sense???