Package cached issue

wilsonleung
New Contributor

Hello everyone,
We are testing JSS/Casper Suite in our UAT environment. We have 2 Mac machines which are enrolled. After I create a policy to cache one package to local, I find dashboard display policy complete.a0cdd93e8c524369b85b62b61e64a71b
Then I create a smart computer group to check whether those Mac machines have cached the package. Only one has cached the package successfully. c2401b9bfa1545c98ebed7c0bbe881bf
3e02b3536cd246238d364af885256e4d
026a7c9213a14612ba0b43165d145422
So...can anyone tell me what's going on?

7 REPLIES 7

dmohs
Contributor

The smart group results are based upon the last time CasperSuite inventoried that computer. Is it possible that inventory has not been updated since the caching policy was run?

In my scenario, I have a policy that triggers inventory once daily. It is possible to add "Update Inventory" to your caching policy for more up-to-date inventory data.

techhelprhs
New Contributor III

+1 @dmohs .

Try adding Files and Processes to the caching policy and execute command /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf recon. That should force the clients to recon immediately after the policy has been executed and populate the smart group.

Best,

-Chris

wilsonleung
New Contributor

Hi @dmohs Yes, we have the policy "Update Inventory"

dmohs
Contributor

@wilsonleung Upon reviewing your posted log screen shot, it is not attempting to update inventory. The log should look more like this...
d97ff396b92d4035bc32aac4bd53d6f0

Other than double-checking that "Update Inventory" is checked within the "Maintenance" section of the policy, I have no suggestion.
4c4f74d9eb974cb699047052ae76b5ce

jamesgreenMatte
New Contributor II

Hello. We have the exact same issue in our environment. Cached packages on many Macs are NOT getting picked up by the inventory. It shows in JSS 1 cached package but no name. I run a recon manually, then it appears for only a few minutes. Then upon next check in, the cached package shows as 1 but does not show the name. Without the name, it will not trigger the smart group to install that cached package. We are using 9.81. This is happening on all OS X versions from 10.8 to 10.11

scottb
Honored Contributor

I've read that in the past, sometimes folks put in "jamf recon" under the policy Files and Processes/Execute Command" instead to the "Maintenance" inventory update option.

Don't know if it will help, but worth a shot I guess. We're on JSS 9.82, FWIW and don't see this.

jamesgreenMatte
New Contributor II

I just tried that. no change. but thanks for the suggestion scottb.