Packaging Classic Screensaver

thulin
New Contributor

I'm looking for the best way to deploy the "Classic" photo screensaver through Self Service. I've looked at managed preferences, but I can't let users control the deployment or initiate their own installs on MCX deployments. Unfortunately these specific screensaver also attach the machine's UUID to the plist, so they're difficult to package and bundle with the images I want to deploy with the process.

I'm open to scripting a solution or any other suggestions--thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "deploy" the screensaver? I'm assuming you mean you want to force the user's screensaver to the classic one you're talking about? Is there a reason this needs to be available through Self Service?

thulin
New Contributor

I don't want to force a screensaver on users--I want them to be able to set up the "Classic" screensaver with rotating backgrounds that I provide as part of optional branding for my company, and I'd separately like to make the screensaver option a default for new users. I'm not sure if just copying the "ByHost" prefs and deploying them to fill user templates will do the trick, since they tack on the UUID to the plist.