Pairing Managed iPad to iTunes

sedwards
Contributor

I have an iPad that was enrolled without the "Pairing" option checked off in the enrollment profile. I have since turned enabled that check box for all newly enrolled iPads but even with "Allow Pairing with non-configurator hosts" checked off in restrictions I can not pair this iPad to iTunes in order to backup an application. If I re-enroll the iPad to get the new enrollment settings it will wipe the device and application data.

Is there any other way for me to get a managed iPad to pair with iTunes so I can backup this app?

3 REPLIES 3

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

Nope. You will have to wipe/re-enroll the device to get the new enrollment config. I would sign in to iCloud and create a backup that way.

sedwards
Contributor
Nope. You will have to wipe/re-enroll the device to get the new enrollment config. I would sign in to iCloud and create a backup that way.

So if I create an iCloud backup, I can re-enroll the iPad and then restore that iPad via iCloud? Is there anything in Casper I need to enable to be sure iCloud will work to recover the iPad? There is a lot of information on this iPad I can't afford to lose.

thejenbot
Contributor III

@sedwards I have been successful restoring from iCloud backup on the same device only when wiping the device, re-enrolling without restoring (set up as new device), wiping again, and THEN restoring from iCloud. When setting up as new device I skip everything I can (passcode, Apple ID, etc.); it takes a few extra minutes but without the extra step I was constantly having issues with getting stuck/locked up somewhere in the process.

Of course, if you have a spare device laying around you could apply the iCloud backup to the other device first to make sure you get everything you need and are able to pair, etc., and then wipe the original.

It would be good to know what version of iOS you're running; I haven't had any issues when restoring from backup this year at iOS 10.3.2 and above, but I know that last year we had a heck of a time getting it to go on older versions.