Pairing with no-supervision configured host

wifichallenges
Contributor

What does this setting in the configuration profile do? its under software restrictions.

"Pairing with no-supervision configured host"

I have a few ipads which are not functional, their mdm profile is so old that its red and it wont communicate with jamf. So i wanted to use apple configurator to manage them, but they say "pairing is prohibited by a policy on the device" just wondering if its this policy causing it.

i'm going to try wiping it with itunes next.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You will need to reinstall iPadOS, but it looks like you are already on that path.

Restrictions | Apple Developer Documentation

com.apple.applicationaccess

allowHostPairing
boolean

If false, disables host pairing with the exception of the supervision host. If no supervision host certificate has been configured, all pairing is disabled. Host pairing lets the administrator control if an iOS device can pair with a host Mac or PC. Requires a supervised device. Available in iOS 7 and later.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You will need to reinstall iPadOS, but it looks like you are already on that path.

Restrictions | Apple Developer Documentation

com.apple.applicationaccess

allowHostPairing
boolean

If false, disables host pairing with the exception of the supervision host. If no supervision host certificate has been configured, all pairing is disabled. Host pairing lets the administrator control if an iOS device can pair with a host Mac or PC. Requires a supervised device. Available in iOS 7 and later.

Yes. what fooled me up, was that there is no more itunes to do this! now you just need a mac with a modern OS (mine is 12.6) and you do the wipe and restore from finder now!

power down ipad, hold down home button and power up ipad. Then plug into mac and then upgrade. That corrected these problems communicating, and then i just had to wipe from the jamf console, as we dont allow the ipads to reset themselves. I think you can wipe from finder too and i might have done that on one or two.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Yep, Apple killed iTunes on macOS a couple of years ago. That application was long over due for something. Also look in to Apple Configurator, it can do this kind of stuff also and is more tech focused.

I think it might be this setting that is preventing pairing in the pre enrollment.

wifichallenges_0-1667404065372.png

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

deleted