Partially unlocking screen after login

jesseshipley
Contributor

I'm having an incredibly annoying issue crop up with an increasing number of my users based around logging in after the screensaver locks their computer. The computer logs in but when they hit the main GUI all of the applications appear to be in the background (the application menu will usually just stay on whatever the last foreground app was or on Finder.) You can click on any elements you would normally be able to click in a background app (window modifiers, dialog buttons, etc) but you cannot type anything or get any meaningful use out of the machine. I'm running 9.82 and have a profile out for lock instantly after screensaver which I know is buggy right now. I rolled out the fix @kitzy blogged about with a manually uploaded plist in conjunction with the profile. I don't know the buggy profiles from 9.82 play into this or if something different is going on.

Has anyone else seen this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jesseshipley
Contributor

Looks like removing the login window profile along with changing the security profile for screen lock to 5 seconds has fixed this entirely. Really bothersome bug that I hope is fixed soon.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jonnydford
Contributor II

I've seen this and it took a while for me to actually work out what was going on.

Looking at the console logs it'll say something like "can't make *insertappnamehere" active for user login screen"

The reason being it never brought up the login screen to unlock it.

Removing the login window profile fixes this issue for us.

jonnydford
Contributor II

From my JAMF support rep:

We do seem to already have this product issue documented (reference D-006439). The documented behaviour is the same as you described, enabling the Login Window payload in a config profile causes the askForPassword value to be set to false in the Security & Privacy payload. One possible workaround for this is to create your desired config profile in Apple's Profile Manager and sign it. Upload this signed profile to the JSS and do NOT unlock it. Signed profiles cannot be modified by the JSS so that unwanted value change would not take place.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Talk about a very peculiar issue. Why would the two payloads effect each other? At least there is a work around.

timlarsen
Contributor

I'm experiencing this exact same thing, but can only assume this issue is related to 9.82 since our login window config. profile has been unchanged for the last 2 years.

jesseshipley
Contributor

In talking with JAMF it seems a further issue with the profile bug is if you have a profile for Login Window settings as well they will end up competing with each other. The Security profile is already malformed and then bad things happen (as described above.) I have removed our login window profile and so far things are looking much better. I'll report back here if I get through a week without issues.

tmagdziasz
New Contributor III

We have experienced the same issue so we removed our login window profile and have so far been issue free. Has anyone figured out what the real issue is so that we can start using the login window profile again?

jesseshipley
Contributor

Looks like removing the login window profile along with changing the security profile for screen lock to 5 seconds has fixed this entirely. Really bothersome bug that I hope is fixed soon.