Passcode for erasing an iOS device?

BCPeteo
Contributor II

We have loner iPads that get erased when returned, the issue we have is any user can erase the device. 

We have activation lock on so if a user does erase the device it becomes worthless. But of course that locks out the return desk from setting up the device (they have no access to jamf to get the activation bypass code).

We will like to turn off activation lock, but lock down erasing a device with a passcode. Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2

Hasibravo
New Contributor III

@BCPeteo Good Morning! If your iPads are supervised then the good news is YES. You can remove reset all settings and content from the reset menu. We have done this in our school district to prevent students from wiping their iPads. You can use a configuration profile to do this, in the restrictions payload.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 5.11.10 pm.png

I don't believe that they have to be in DEP in order to do this. You can use Apple Configurator to supervise them and add them into Jamf. DEP just makes life easy.

I hope this helps.

BCPeteo
Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. Actually part of our staff process is to erase the device on return, but we want to lock that from students. That's why I was wondering if there was a way to restrict just erase with a passcode. Does not seem like that is possible. Thought even if the device is wiped and connects to a network, since it is supervised it should automaticity get the our profiles and we could send a lost command to it.