Patch Management Definition for OneDrive

jsherwood
Contributor

I know it's not a priority compared to other areas of Jamf but the Patch Management Definitions for OneDrive aren't aligned with the OneDrive release cycle (Insider, Production, Enterprise) which Microsoft are working to:

90359f20700e48c2b5c98a3adc036532

Patch management is currently reporting 19.086.0502 as the current version however 19.103.0527 is currently deploying to the Production ring and virtually all my fleet is now reporting an unknown version in Patch Management.

I know this will always be a moving target but it's something that really needs to improve as it's kinda awkward when management look at the Patch Reporting and ask why we don't know what version of an app clients are running.

8 REPLIES 8

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @jsherwood !

Thanks for posting the suggestion.

We get our information for OneDrive at this location: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/onedrive-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

We use the Production Ring, Rolling out, version for the definition. It's been this way since the definitions inception. Here's the problem we're seeing here at the moment, 19.103.0527.0003 is the version that's currently being shown. However when trying to download that link it still gives us 19.086.0502.0008 - the previous latest version. We've been watching this for about a week straight waiting for the link to be corrected or for https://macadmins.software to show version 19.103.0527.0003, which it hasn't yet.

Our stance is that we typically will not release an update for a Software Title unless we are able to download and test it via the Quality Assurance department prior to the release. So at the moment we're being held up because we cannot get a hold of 19.103.0527.0003.

Do you have a public facing link to the latest version that you can share? If there is a more accurate place to check for OneDrive updates we can use that for updates instead.

Thank you!!

Jon

jsherwood
Contributor

Hi Jon,

Don't worry, I totally appreciate that keeping up with Microsoft's release cycle is challenging to say the least!

The download link for 10.103.0527.003 is here - I obtained it from the page you referenced (it's hyperlinked from the version number):

a1c4b294e2564616aa7f498347a84a88

Thanks

John

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello fellow John!

If only it were that simple right? Every time myself and a coworker download and install from that link we are still getting 19.085.0502. Clearing cache or using incognito doesn't make a difference. I've enclosed a gif. If this is where you obtained version 19.103 I'm curious if they pulled it and then will release it at a later date. If you have another public facing link I would appreciate you sharing.

ec8e6ea491444539b7127e0c244ae24f

Thank you!

Jon

jsherwood
Contributor

Hey Jon,

Have to admit I hadn't viewed the .pkg to check the contents but I think I've worked out what's going on...

When the standalone version of OneDrive is installed, it also includes a standalone updater daemon which is getting immediately launched (courtesy of a LaunchDaemon) and is then pulling down the Rolling out version from the Production Ring.

I've not managed to find any links that are hosting the Rolling out version but will keep searching.

I've reached out to Jonathan Leung on Slack (he's a Program Manager for OneDrive at Microsoft) outlining the issue to see if he can offer any assistance as he's been pretty helpful in the past.

Thanks

John

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hey John,

Thank makes sense! I can get started on working on the Software Title with that information.

Good discovery! Looking forward to hearing what Jonathan Leung says. Between three Jo(h)ns we'll figure it out.

Thank you!

Jon

jsherwood
Contributor

OK, the .pkg is available here

The static public facing link updates once the release is fully rolled out so for early access Jonathan says we should just be able to substitute the version number in the URL to access the relevant version.

Jonathan is keen to work with Jamf to make sure you have the latest version available for QA...would be good to hook you guys up - are you on Slack?

Thanks

John

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

I am!

Feel free to send that to him.

Thanks!

Jon

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

This is still problematic.

Jamf Patch Management: 22.191.0911.0001

OneDrive Release Notes: 22.176.0821.0002 

I am seeing similar with Acrobat DC too.