Patch Management; installer: Error the package path specified was invalid

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Since a couple of days, Adobe packages created with CreativeCloudPackager receive beneath error on installing/upgrading through Patch Management.

installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/AdobePremiereProCC-12.0.pkg.zip'.

A couple of weeks ago it worked fine in patch management, and it still does for other applications like MSOffice, Skype, Chrome, Firefox.

All devices will fail the patch management policie.

Even when i create new packages on a new fresh machine, this still happens.
When i run the .pkg regular on a machine it works, when we deploy it within a policy it works, or update a existing installation through a policie there are no problems.

So, only through the Patch Management section Adobe install/update packages fail.

anyone an idea?

Already tried;
- Creating new patch management policies
- Creating new fresh packages with CreativeCloudPackager

Executing Patch Policy Adobe Premiere Pro CC Copying AdobePremiereProCC-12.0.pkg.zip... Installing AdobePremiereProCC-12.0.pkg.zip... installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/AdobePremiereProCC-12.0.pkg.zip'.

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

39 REPLIES 39

hodgesji
Contributor

I'm getting similar errors with an Adobe package as well. It is odd that the same package works perfectly fine outside of the patch policy.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hodgesji Appreciate your response, thanks!
Yea really odd, it went fine with the first batch of 2018 release's, but then it got broke.. :'(

For me, good to hear i am not the only one.

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

jgwatson
Contributor

Ditto here as well. I have been working with JAMF tech support, but no dice so far.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@jgwatson Thanks for your reply! keep us posted if you got more intel.

jgwatson
Contributor

@txhaflaire @hodgesji any luck with this? I have my escalated JAMF call tomorrow so I will keep you posted....unless you have found a magical fix!

Let me know.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@jgwatson Hi,

Till now, unfortunately not :(

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Adding myself to the list of those seeing this. Hadn't stumbled upon the thread until now, but seeing this across the board on our machines.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Taylor.Armstrong & Others, the only workaround for this is to use regular polcies with a smartgroup to deploy the .pkg/update because that is still working fine.

But, fact is Adobe needs to fix or Jamf have to tweak some things.

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

remyb
Contributor

I just ran into this same issue after trying to get adobe installers into patch management.
It happened for Acrobat, photoshop, indesign and illustrator

JamieMacJ
New Contributor

Looks like this is still an issue. I'm running Jamf Pro 10.1.1, trying to incorporate Acrobat Pro DC into patch management, and getting the "installer: Error the package path specified was invalid" message

remyb
Contributor

I'm still sparring with JAMF support to get a solution on this, nothing so far.

pandrum
New Contributor III

Also got this issue with Acrobat Pro Dc-18.011.20035. Works fine when running through installer or installing it manually. Only fails through Patch Management.

anouk
New Contributor

You can add me to the list of people experiencing this same issue.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Just FWIW - Acrobat Pro Dc-18.011.20035 working for me through Patch Management in test so far.

jgwatson
Contributor

@Taylor.Armstrong any other patches working? What version of the JSS are you running?

Still the same issue for me.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

@jgwatson : Running 10.0 here. I haven't bothered going back to test any other Adobe patches - RUM works well enough for now. All other 3rd party patches seem to work great.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Issue is still going on, anyone made some progress in this one?

Kyuubi
Contributor

I'm in the same boat as well. Just uploaded a bunch of updated .pkgs and no joy installing via Patch Management. Jamf.... please advise.

jgwatson
Contributor

@txhaflaire no progress here. Nothing from JAMF. :(

noahdowd
Contributor

Running 10.4.1 with an https DP. Still seeing this problem with patch management and .pkg.zips. You'd think it wouldn't be that tough to have the jamf agent extract the archive locally before installing. Unfortunately we can't edit those patch policies to put something like that in there manually.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Running into this with the Creative Cloud Desktop app. This really needs to be fixed! I can see it download the .pkg.zip, and then generate a .pkg.unzipped, both in the JAMF Downloads directory, but no joy on installing it.

jpoirson
New Contributor III

Hello,
I had a case opened and was said it's a known issue :

PI-005423 and says "Adobe installs with new patch management fails".

The product issue was discovered in version 10.1.1, but has not been fixed yet. As a workaround, we should be able to push the package using policy.

Regards

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Yeah, that's what we had to resort to. So much for Adobe Patch Management, eh?

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Bump. Come on, JAMF. This needs to be fixed.

Package itself seems fine - I can download locally, unzip, and install w/out any issue.

When running from patch management, it downloads (I can see it in the downloads folder), verifies integrity, then the package deletes itself, and fails saying it cannot find the path.

Everything on my end points to this being a Jamf bug, not an Adobe one (for once!)

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Still needs to be fixed indeed :(

BenL
New Contributor III

Just ran into this today as well. Add me to the list ha ha.

maclabsadmin
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Ditto. Soooo frustrating re: Adobe pkgs.

dridolfo
New Contributor

Still a problem in JAMF Pro 10.6.2 (on macOS 10.13.6).

Steps to reproduce:

1.) Adobe CC pkgs (created via a template in the Adobe Admin Console) are downloaded from adobe.com and then added to Jamf Pro via Jamf Admin (which zips the pkg because it has not been a flattened).

2.) These packages are added to a Patch Policy within Jamf Pro Patch Management.

3.) Executing the policy results in the zipped pkg being downloaded from the jss, but failing to install on the client machine. In our case, the reported error is “ installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/InDesignCC_Install-13.1.0.76.pkg.zip'.”

My naive assumption is that there is a disconnect between the actual package name that exists on disk after downloading and unzipping, and the pkg name that patch management framework expects to find when it goes to perform the installation.

I haven't yet tried flattening the original adobe pkg prior to uploading to the jss.

jose_lopez
New Contributor

For my was working, just changing the name of the PKG

1. Open Jamf Admin application
  2. Remove the existing pkg file
  3. Change the name of the pkg file on your local computer.
  4. Push the pkg file to the repository.
  5. Go to the policy affected for this issue and add the new pkg file with the new name.

For my works!

taugust04
Valued Contributor

I'm sure most folks have found workarounds while JAMF continues to work on this defect, but here is my workaround in case anyone else is still stumped by this:

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/26531/patch-management-and-adobe-cc-products#responseChild174188

rkatoch
New Contributor

Same issue here as well... Trying workaround.

abuehler
New Contributor III

Hey guys, I just stumbled across exact the same issue while trying to update the lates MS Office.
Did someone have success with installing PKGs through the Patch Management?
DMGs seem to work just fine though.

Update: I just uploaded the same PKG, but uncompressed. That seems to work for some reason...

NPU-Casper
New Contributor III

Just started to use patch management which I like, using it for Office 2019 and is working well until I ran into Adobe! I have an open case will see what Jamf support says. Thanks!

abuehler
New Contributor III

@NPU-Casper Any news about this? I just ran into the same issue with the Adobe CC Installer, which cannot be used uncompressed.

ccsshelpdesk
New Contributor III

Any news on this, as ive just come across this trying to roll the latest office updates.
Im not using the pkg within a zip either, im using the direct Office update .pkg files from :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac

Is this still an issue as im on jamf 10.12.0-t1555503901

Cheers all

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@ccsshelpdesk & others, I am too experiencing this issues with single app MS pkgs downloaded from macadmins.software and patch policies
Weird thing is patch policies work perfectly on some computer and fail random on few others - using the same, Distribution Points - with the usual message "installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Microsoft_Excel_16.29.19090802_Installer.pkg'. or any other MS app installer
JSS 10.13 on premise with 10.13.6 & 10.14.6 clients
Login policies with the very same packages work...
Thank you!
Any help/hint will be greatly appreciated!

T3Helpdesk
New Contributor

I am encountering this in MacOS 10.15, running JAMF 10.15.1.

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/...

If I install from Self Service, it works. If I use JAMF Imaging (only to install packages, no OS), all packages fail with the same error.

**FIXED by creating a Privacy Policy giving Allow access to SystemPolicySysAdminFiles and SystemPolicyAllFiles

bearzooka
Contributor

Hey @T3Helpdesk two questions: What application are you trying to update and is giving these errors? And to which application did you give the access through PPPC?

bearzooka
Contributor

I am having this same error when using patch policies to update Zoom. Oddly enough, it seems that all the devices having the problem are running macOS 10.14.6

I tried the workaround of renaming the package and uploading it again, with no success, and the workaround for Adobe updaters wouldn't make much sense with this app.