Patch Management - McAfee Endpoint Security vs Protection

c_archibald
Contributor II

So I just started playing around in Patch Management. I see we have several computers with McAfee Endpoint Protection that are "Up to date" & lots that are not. Delving deeper, the "Up to date" ones are unmanaged/OLD machines not in use & the mass of "Unknown" are all McAfee Endpoint Security. Is there ANY good reason why McAfee Endpoint Security is NOT in Patch Management seeing it's been since OS 10.12.x?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Well, that's really strange then. I would maybe open a case with Jamf about it, because I can't imagine why McAfee Endpoint Security wouldn't be showing up for you. Something doesn't sound right about that.

We also aren't on anything higher than 10.2.3 because of the same reason - a mix of OSes.

Also, this is from a beta cloud instance. It's showing up for me there. Is your Jamf Pro cloud or local?

9ce5a417ea7449c3b5e49c622ac4854e

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270

@c.archibald What Jamf Pro version are you running? I'm still on a late 9.x release, not even on 10, and I see "McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac" in the Patch Management reporting section. It even lists the latest release as 10.5.0, issued on 6/12/18, which we are NOT on yet (Hence why Patch Management needs to let us choose what is considered "current", but I digress)
Point is, I don't see a "Protection" title like you describe. I'm wondering if your Jamf Pro server just hasn't gotten new definitions for some reason? Because it should definitely be there.

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @c.archibald and @mm2270 :

Is McAfee Endpoint Protection a replacement for Endpoint Security or an entirely different app?

Thanks!

mm2270

@robinsonjo It's the other way around. it used to be called McAfee Endpoint Protection and got renamed several years back to McAfee Endpoint Security. Technically you could say it's a different application, but "Security" replaced "Protection" to do essentially the same thing on the client.
6b1e0fba5eab4d39b3b4ae7aa166d244

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84934

c_archibald
Contributor II

We are on JAMF Pro 10.5, about to upgrade to 10.6. I just started playing with Patch Management & MES is NOT listed. We're running MES 10.2.3 BECAUSE we are running a mix of 10.12 & 10.13 plus 2 test 10.14 systems. Only version that I know of from some quick research that works on 10.12 & 10.13+.

c_archibald
Contributor II

And on MY machine only, DLP does not load correctly. It is installed, takes commands, & does not load as normal. So I'm getting flagged for it, but not loose access type of flag.

mm2270

Well, that's really strange then. I would maybe open a case with Jamf about it, because I can't imagine why McAfee Endpoint Security wouldn't be showing up for you. Something doesn't sound right about that.

We also aren't on anything higher than 10.2.3 because of the same reason - a mix of OSes.

Also, this is from a beta cloud instance. It's showing up for me there. Is your Jamf Pro cloud or local?

9ce5a417ea7449c3b5e49c622ac4854e

c_archibald
Contributor II

Here's what I found:
919767cb190c4a82809239e676338ee0
Then after finding there was a "No category Assigned" section, I did find MES.
c493ae8ea4134459a85d469864511db3
Of course it says 100% out of date for 10.5.0. But that part is all out of our hands even though we have some influence. We're on 10.2.3 because of my suggestion.