Patch Management - Users with the latest version still receive an update notification in Self Service

dpodgors
Contributor

We are seeing this with chrome. From one of our users:
Self Service is forcing an "update" of Chrome on my Mac to an older version every day or two. After Self Service reinstalls Chrome at an older version, Chrome auto-updates to the latest version. Then the cycle starts over again with Self Service thinking that Chrome needs an update.

Note: I've updated the version to stop the bleeding.75b6c5706d0f42f2aeb5dfadc25bd731
663df479f3b945b28f8de061086df8fe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mnapier_iu
New Contributor

There's a lag between new version release and JAMF "knowing about it." During that interval, JAMF sees it as an unknown version. So if you tell JAMF to patch unknown versions, it will clobber a new Chrome that was released in the past day or two with an older version.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mnapier_iu
New Contributor

There's a lag between new version release and JAMF "knowing about it." During that interval, JAMF sees it as an unknown version. So if you tell JAMF to patch unknown versions, it will clobber a new Chrome that was released in the past day or two with an older version.

listec
New Contributor III

Thanks! I just turned off "patch unknown versions" so let's see what is happening on Monday. (Weird this is the first time ever this has happened at our site.)

BP

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

It also happens if the inventory record is out of date. If you have updated Chrome locally and haven'y submitted inventory since, the Jamf Pro server doesn't know about the change.

Just curious. I noticed that regardless how many times the inventory is updated Self Service will still offer patches to users who self updated like with Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Is this expected behavior or is something wrong at my end?