Patch Managment

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Hey guys,

So I've created my first patch management policy and it doesn't want to work and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I want to update Blender from 2.8 to 3.0.0. I checked out the notes to do so for 10.35 and also found a YouTube video from Jamf. Please correct me if I did this wrong but I went to Blender's website and downloaded 3.0.0 and created a new software package in Jamf (there was no mention of doing this at all in Jamf's notes). I then went to Patch Management and built the patch there, filling out Patch Report and Patch Policy. I've only scoped it out to one computer for testing so far. However when I go to computer inventory and then check under management->patch management->patch policies. It tells me there are no Patch Policies with this Computer in the Scope.

I've added some screenshots to show you guys what I've done and hopefully tell me where I went wrong or what else I need to do. Any help would be grateful!

Neil

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

  

8 REPLIES 8

PatrickD
Contributor II

Does the device show in the list of eligible computers?

PatrickD_0-1642384284574.png

If you select the Software Titles tab do you see Blender?

PatrickD_1-1642384440249.png

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Yes and yes.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.07.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.07.29 AM.png

I'd suggest raising this with Jamf support then.

dletkeman
Contributor

Try running "sudo jamf recon -verbose" then after that finishes "sudo jamf policy -verbose".  Does that work?

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help guys :)!

Still no dice. I ran those two commands and nothing changed unfortunately.

I grabbed another computer from the lab just in case this one is jinxed lol. But nothing happens with this one either. Still Blender v2.8

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

Any further ideas before I open up a ticket with Jamf?

I would reach out to Jamf support.

NeiSpe77
New Contributor III

So I reached out to Jamf Support and did a Zoom session with them and I shared my screen so they could double check my work. The guy I was working with said everything I had done looked good. He had me run sudo jamf recon and policy on the target machine and that didn't work. The only real change that I can say we did was that we looked at Blender in Composer and he had me create a new one. Since the start of this ticket Blender has since updated their software to 3.0.1 so we removed the 3.0.0 one and replaced it with 3.0.1.. Blender downloads as a DMG and instead of using Composer to package as a DMG when we were done, we packaged instead as a PKG. Uploaded that and then it starting working. I had only scoped it out to one machine. So once it worked I scoped it out to one more device and went for lunch and when I got back for whatever reason it didn't want to take.
I spent some more time on it this morning, removing it from the scope in Jamf Pro and then re-adding it, running sudo jamf recon and policy on the target device and nothing. Then I got up to get a drink and when I came back it updated to 3.0.1 by itself LOL.
Hard to say really what the problem is/was, he is going to turn on error reporting on Monday and then I'll scope the update out to 28 more machines and if any of them get hung up he can have a look at the logs and see where the problem is.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this. I truly appreciate it :).