Policy Client-Side Limitations not working

nahrens
New Contributor III

Hey guys,
I have a policy I want to run only Saturday morning before 2AM (From 00:00 to 01:59 it should be able to run). See the below for how I set up my client-side limitations.
Well looking at the logs (see below), it ran not only yesterday (a Sunday) but also on Saturday at 8:50PM, 6:23PM, etc... This policy is cached for offline running. I can disable that part if necessary.

Thanks guys

416a6092d0d74daba1d8e465053b8b86

5536cb2f5f44468aab70fe7921f25549

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Cached policies can only run with an Ongoing frequency. The checkbox for "Make Available Offline" doesn't even appear until you change the execution frequency to "Ongoing". If this is coupled with the recurring check-in trigger it would explain why it's running on nearly every check-in. Those client side options really only apply to the first run of a cached offline policy, not afterwards. Once it's cached on the machine, every time the Mac checks in and Jamf Pro can't be reached, it will look to see if it has anything cached locally and run it. This also explains why you see that "The results of this policy were not logged at the time of execution." in the log. It means it couldn't upload the policy log details to Jamf Pro when it ran. It stores the logs locally in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/logs/ and the next time the Mac can contact the Jamf Pro server, it uploads all the logs at once.

Is there a specific reason it needs to be done as an offline policy? Because if not, I would turn that part off.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sshort
Valued Contributor

Are any of the clients that have "off" times in another time zone?

nahrens
New Contributor III

@sshort No, these are all in the same time zone. I was more curious if this issue was that maybe I set the times incorrectly, but looking at the logs from the past 200 runs, there seems to be a few computers that it happens reoccurring when it shouldn't. Is it a possibility that the policy actually runs during the correct time but reported it incorrectly? The computers that have the incorrect time reported all have the following in the details, but none of the correct time ones do:
The results of this policy were not logged at the time of execution.
The actual execution time was Sun Feb 3 06:15:30 EST 2019.

This policy is running software updates and it may possibly restart the computer.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Cached policies can only run with an Ongoing frequency. The checkbox for "Make Available Offline" doesn't even appear until you change the execution frequency to "Ongoing". If this is coupled with the recurring check-in trigger it would explain why it's running on nearly every check-in. Those client side options really only apply to the first run of a cached offline policy, not afterwards. Once it's cached on the machine, every time the Mac checks in and Jamf Pro can't be reached, it will look to see if it has anything cached locally and run it. This also explains why you see that "The results of this policy were not logged at the time of execution." in the log. It means it couldn't upload the policy log details to Jamf Pro when it ran. It stores the logs locally in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/logs/ and the next time the Mac can contact the Jamf Pro server, it uploads all the logs at once.

Is there a specific reason it needs to be done as an offline policy? Because if not, I would turn that part off.

nahrens
New Contributor III

@mm2270 That explains it... Thank you so much for your explanation. Nope, no reason to have that part enabled, and I will be disabling it. Again, thank you so much.