Policy deferrals when no user logged in?

raymondap
Contributor

I can't seem to find the answer to this on my own. If I set a deferral type of Date and set a date a month in the future, how do clients handle that policy when no user is logged in? Does the policy just run, or does it wait for a user to be logged in so they have the option to defer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If a deferral is setup and no one is logged in the policy will run when the trigger happens, and will "ignore" the deferral.

If you are looking for a simple "official" answer, I suggest opening a ticket with JAMF. They may be able to point to documentation, or you can just reference the ticket if the "powers that be" want 1st party verification. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MikeTheTech
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey @raymondap the policy won't run until triggered, whether by login, recurring check-in, etc which typically isn't going to happen until the user logs in.

You can also check the policy logs by going to Computers > Policies > Policy in question > logs, and check to see if it's marked as "pending" or "completed" on devices. 

MikeTheTech
New Contributor
New Contributor

@raymondap the policy isn't going to run until triggered, whether that be by login, recurring check in, etc. That won't happen until a user logs into the machine and it hits that trigger, and the Wi-Fi network.

You can also check the policy logs to see how machines are taking the policy, if they are sitting at "pending" or "completed". 

The policy in question would have a one time trigger on check in. I already know that our clients can run a policy on check in if no user is logged in, but what I’m not sure of is how that policy would behave if a deferral option is set. Does it run if no user is logged in, or does it wait to give an opportunity to defer until the due date? I was hoping this would be a simple answer to find, but I have had no luck. I’ll probably just test it and figure it out myself tomorrow.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If a deferral is setup and no one is logged in the policy will run when the trigger happens, and will "ignore" the deferral.

If you are looking for a simple "official" answer, I suggest opening a ticket with JAMF. They may be able to point to documentation, or you can just reference the ticket if the "powers that be" want 1st party verification. 

Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thanks!