Policy installing cached package installs then states "Failed"

Tjernigan
New Contributor III

Hey gang. So I have two policies in place to update to Catalina. One policy to cache the package and a second that at the next checkin, installs the OS. The policy works as it installs the package however, once the OS installation starts, I then get an error. Jamf checkes for the package a second time and attempts to run the command I set up in "Files and Peferences" /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --forcequitapps

I get the error that the package cannot be found (This is after it has already started the upgrade)

Can anybody think of a reason why it would be checking for the package a second time??

I set the scope to devices that have had the package cached to them. So is it just that the inventory hasn't updated yet?

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Does your first policy that caches the installer package include an inventory collection at the end? That part is crucial. By default, policies don't run a recon at their completion. You need to enable the Maintenance payload to have that happen.

I don't know for certain if that's the main issue here, but to be sure you aren't getting policies re-running unnecessarily, I would double check that in your caching policy.

Tjernigan
New Contributor III

My caching policy did not have inventory update enabled. I actually had it enabled on the installer. The package has been on a lot of machines for weeks though and an inventory update has been done since then. Would it still have to be on the base policy?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

No, not if you're sure that inventory collection has taken place since it was first cached. If that's the case, then it's not likely that it's an inventory problem you're seeing here.

I can't say I know for sure what it could be. If you're able to post any more details on your policies, such as scripts being used or screenshots of the settings, it might help someone here hone in on exactly what's causing your problem.

Tjernigan
New Contributor III

I kept it as simple as possible. I didn't use scripts. I just packaged the Catalina update from Mac. and cached it to machines. I then created a cache installer using the command listed above in the installer policy.

I can try and post screenshots shortly of the boxes I have checked.

cfrank12
New Contributor

@Tjernigan This is a bit old, but I'm experiencing this exact same issue. Did you find the cause/solution in your case?

Tjernigan
New Contributor III

@cfrank12 I did not. Though I have discovered a better way to upgrade my machines using the jamf framework.