Possible Bug with Static Groups?

Oostendorp
New Contributor

Using 9.2, Created a number of static groups and have noticed a few weird...lets call them observations at this stage.

* I've previously had 97 machines in a group and had to add a further 2, upon trying to do this, it seems page one of the results all unchecked themselves, therefore only having the new added two machines in the group only!

* If i try to add the groups to sites, it drops all current members.

* Since noticing this, even when i try to re-add all the other 97 machines, it seems to ignore the changes?!

playing havoc with my MCX as it is all group based!

8 REPLIES 8

anne_benson
New Contributor II

We're seeing this as well... our work-around is to increase the number of devices on a page so that all devices appear on one page. If you sort by name, then you can check all that you need.

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

I am having this issue(s) as well, however we also are seeing double of all of our computers when trying to add to a group. I need to check-mark both of them for it to work properly for now. Then it shows double the number in the group too....ugh. But if you do a advanced search for computers with that name, the correct number is found. For example, we have 250 computers with a "19" in the name, the group shows 500, but if I do a search for computers with a "19" is shows the correct number of 250.

krusej23
New Contributor

This is an issue. I had this happen to me and support told me to not use the search/filter function of the static group. Instead you are supposed to just use the find feature in your browser. If you use the search/filter function in the JSS then it will only keep the computers that show up in your search. They said it should be fixed in the next update.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

Static and Smart groups are both broken in 9.2. They are working on a fix for the next release of 9.2.x. Currently, the only workaround at this time is to use Departments instead of static or smart groups.

krusej23
New Contributor

Broken how? I haven't noticed anything broken about them besides this filter issue.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

Smart groups no longer respond to scoping of profiles/policies. You have to configure all of your profiles/policies to scope via departments until the Smart Group/Static Group issue is fixed in the next release. Our JSS somehow managed to experience every known/unknown issue at the same time, and that's how we discovered that Smart Groups weren't functioning correctly with Policies/Profiles.

Oostendorp
New Contributor

Im also seeing the scoping issues as outlined by Joseph.

Lucky for me I managed to get out all my changes needed for this term before experiencing any of this.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

You should be able to utilize "Departments" if you are doing static groups. This should allow you to bypass the smart/static group bug until the fix is published in the next release. Simply set up your Static groups as Departments instead and scope it to that. Should help.