Possible to make add a Web Clip to my self service?

Gern
New Contributor III

I see how I could add a webclip to a configuration profile and make that profile available in Self Service, but I was wondering if I could just add a straight webclip that goes to a website into Self Service so the students can download it. I tried sending the webclip in their current configuration but it only pushed out on about 60% of their iPads. Any ideas? I feel like I am missing some easy information.

3 REPLIES 3

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Are you looking to deploy an optional WebClip (i.e. a WebClip that students can opt into including on their home screen)? If so, I think you want to make a configuration profile for the WebClip and make that profile available via Self Service.

Self Service Configuration Profiles for Mobile Devices

Gern
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response! I was thinking about doing that but I didn't know if config files conflict with one another or not. I'm pretty basic with the Jamfs as we only manage iPads.

Sichas
Contributor

Config Profiles tend to only conflict when there are two of the same payload scoped to the same device. For example Profile A contains the Restrictions payload, and so does Profile B, but with some different Restriction settings. It's totally OK to have both of these in the JSS, but if we scoped them to the same device, we'd get odd behavior since the iPad wouldn't know which settings to take.

This shouldn't apply to Web Clips though, as they're just adding shortcuts to the home screen. I just tested this myself and deployed 2 webclips via 2 different Config Profiles - worked great.