Possible to push a configuration profile as part of a policy?

joboo72
New Contributor II

Happy Friday Jamf Community! I was wondering if it was possible to push a configuration profile as part of a policy. I built out the Wacom PPPC per this excellent post  and can scope existing Wacom users to it. My hope is there would be a way to link it to the install policy for any new installs.

We have roughly 700 Macs enrolled in Jamf and currently 25 people needing the policy. I'd hate to have to push it to all 700 just to catch a small handful of people that may need to install it for the first time in the future. 

I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

3 REPLIES 3

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

since you need some of the PPPC payload for installation prompt suppression, I would say you can't really tie it to a policy.  if you split out the PPPC whitelisting of the base application so it will install without prompts(pushed to all potential machines that may need it), you could then make a smart group that has the Wacom app listed as criteria and then use that as the scope to auto-push another profile to deal with the rest of the prompts.  

joboo72
New Contributor II

Thanks @TheAngryYeti that just triggered an idea. I could cache the installer and have that tied to a Smart Group, which then scopes the config profile and installs the software at the next check-in.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

We have a number of applications like that.

We create the PPPC profile and the installer policy. We then create a Smart Group for the Profile installed on the computer. The policy is scoped to this Smart Group. The profile is then scope to the computers we want the application installed onto.

That way the install policy doesn't trigger until we are sure the profile is installed. While profiles are "nearly" instantaneous, in the past, we have occasionally run in to race conditions were the policy ran before the profile. This setup fixes the issue.