Potential bug found on JSS Server Software

Satchelsquatch
New Contributor

In Configuration Profiles while adding restrictions to preference pane access for the user, I encountered an error while trying to set the default finder preferences.
It opens up okay, showing me this.
external image link
Showing more than one profile as it is shown in the picture above.
I thought this was a little funny so I clicked the minus icon, but instead of removing it it sets back to this.
external image link
A bit peeved, I clicked configure again only to be faced with another copy of the darn setting.
I tried it a few more times to confirm and I am now left with about eight of them. :/
Help would be greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Satchelsquatch @barret55

Initially, I thought this might be D-005915, which was opened in 9.22, and is listed as fixed as of 9.31, however, checking with my 9.32 JSS, I see the same behavior.

Set up a Config profile.
Set up a Restrictions payload.
Try to set a Finder payload.
Get weird duplicate in the Finder payload after hitting Configure.
Click - sign.
Click configure again.
Now it’s in triplicate!

It doesn’t appear cosmetic either, as, if saved, it will show the Finder payload as having however many payloads were ‘removed’. I stopped at four with mine.

Definitely not intended behavior!

I’ve opened up a defect (with video attached) for development; the defect ID is D-007243.

In the mean time, I’d recommend using two separate configuration profiles to get around it: One for the Restrictions payload and one for the Finder payload.

The behavior doesn’t seem to happen if there is no Restrictions payload.

If you haven’t already, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager to get a case open on this; we’ll want to reference D-007243 in that correspondence so your Technical Account Manager can get the case attached to the defect for tracking purposes.

You can contact your TAM by either calling our general support line, calling your TAM directly, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenient bizarre behavior!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Satchelsquatch

Weird update:

I found that if you add the Finder payload first and then add a Restrictions payload, it works as intended as well.

So, potentially, that could be another workaround.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

tls2t
New Contributor II

I'm seeing that very same issue myself. Noticed it last week when trying to configure some things. Seems to only happen in the Finder prefs for me. All the other sections seem to work just fine.

Satchelsquatch
New Contributor
I'm seeing that very same issue myself. Noticed it last week when trying to configure some things. Seems to only happen in the Finder prefs for me. All the other sections seem to work just fine.

Sounds like a small bug, let's hope it gets noticed by JAMF.

With Mavericks making all the Hard Disks and other things invisible by default, it's important we get this working. Our younger students generally use the hard drive icon to open a finder window to get to the applications folder.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Satchelsquatch @barret55

Initially, I thought this might be D-005915, which was opened in 9.22, and is listed as fixed as of 9.31, however, checking with my 9.32 JSS, I see the same behavior.

Set up a Config profile.
Set up a Restrictions payload.
Try to set a Finder payload.
Get weird duplicate in the Finder payload after hitting Configure.
Click - sign.
Click configure again.
Now it’s in triplicate!

It doesn’t appear cosmetic either, as, if saved, it will show the Finder payload as having however many payloads were ‘removed’. I stopped at four with mine.

Definitely not intended behavior!

I’ve opened up a defect (with video attached) for development; the defect ID is D-007243.

In the mean time, I’d recommend using two separate configuration profiles to get around it: One for the Restrictions payload and one for the Finder payload.

The behavior doesn’t seem to happen if there is no Restrictions payload.

If you haven’t already, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager to get a case open on this; we’ll want to reference D-007243 in that correspondence so your Technical Account Manager can get the case attached to the defect for tracking purposes.

You can contact your TAM by either calling our general support line, calling your TAM directly, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenient bizarre behavior!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Satchelsquatch
New Contributor
Initially, I thought this might be D-005915, which was opened in 9.22, and is listed as fixed as of 9.31, however, checking with my 9.32 JSS, I see the same behavior. Set up a Config profile. Set up a Restrictions payload. Try to set a Finder payload. Get weird duplicate in the Finder payload after hitting Configure. Click - sign. Click configure again. Now it’s in triplicate! It doesn’t appear cosmetic either, as, if saved, it will show the Finder payload as having however many payloads were ‘removed’. I stopped at four with mine. Definitely not intended behavior! I’ve opened up a defect (with video attached) for development; the defect ID is D-007243. In the mean time, I’d recommend using two separate configuration profiles to get around it: One for the Restrictions payload and one for the Finder payload. The behavior doesn’t seem to happen if there is no Restrictions payload. If you haven’t already, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager to get a case open on this; we’ll want to reference D-007243 in that correspondence so your Technical Account Manager can get the case attached to the defect for tracking purposes. You can contact your TAM by either calling our general support line, calling your TAM directly, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation. Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenient bizarre behavior! Amanda Wulff JAMF Software Support

Thank you so much for your help Amanda. I'm really happy that you were able to reply so quickly with a solution.
I really appreciate it. :)

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Satchelsquatch

Weird update:

I found that if you add the Finder payload first and then add a Restrictions payload, it works as intended as well.

So, potentially, that could be another workaround.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Satchelsquatch
New Contributor

@amanda.wulff

Thank you again. I'm grateful that you work so hard to help us! : )

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Satchelsquatch][/url

Just a quick update: Our development team has tested this issue and found what needed fixing; it looks like it should be fixed soon.

Until that time, we'll just need to continue using either of the two workarounds listed further up in the thread.

As always, you can check the Release Notes for the most current release and do a search for the defect ID (D-007243 in this case) to see if it's on the list of issues corrected.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Hey... silly question. Are we on the precipice of a 9.4 rollout or are we skipping that number? I mean, I'm seeing that number (9.4) documented in a few places and the development team is working up 9.41. I am as always, curious ;-)

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner][/url

We're not skipping 9.4 at all.

As for the 9.4 release date, they don't even tell support the exact release date until about 15 minutes before it goes live! :)

It's not to keep us in the dark or anything, it's just a precaution in the event that something is found last minute that needs fixing before the release; we'd rather not give a date, then have to come back and say, "Oh, wait, no, sorry, scratch June 5th, July 23rd is the new date!" if a release has to be pushed back for any reason.

The best answer we get if we ask Development is, "Soon!", which may or may not be said in a supervillain style voice.

Not surprisingly, if you ask your TAM the same question, you'll get an answer that is a variant of 'soon' as well.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Oh, trust me I know how that goes! It was the latest webinar title that made me feel like I missed something ;-)

Thanks Amanda!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner

I'd thought about saying, "The Duke Nuke 'Em Forever" method of announcing release dates doesn't quite do it for us, but that seemed like a low blow. :)

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

+1 ;-)