Prevent name change on iPads?

Zvordauk
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I don't think we can lock it down but I though I'd double check just in case!
Can you prevent a user from changing the name of their iPad? I have one school in particular who are frustrated by students constantly changing the name the device.

There doesn't seem to be anything in restrictions. Can anybody confirm or enlighten me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davelb20
New Contributor III

Zvordauk,

As far as I know that is not an available MDM Feature, yet.

Dave

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

davelb20
New Contributor III

Zvordauk,

As far as I know that is not an available MDM Feature, yet.

Dave

Zvordauk
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thanks for the confirmation Dave.

Regards,
Ger...

dogden
New Contributor III

It must be avilable because we have both AirWatch and Jamf, and AW supports this feature.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

You can enforce a mobile device name from General > Edit. The device name can be manually changed but it'll revert to what you have set the next time it checks in.

Hopefully OP learned of this in the two years it's been available...

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

You can also enforce this from the Prestage Enrollment Profile as well as with a Configuration Profile.
It does get a little dicey if you use more than one source for this :)

tomhastings
Contributor II

I have this covered with 2 things:
1- Configuration Profile that pushes the restriction - Allow modifying account settings (supervised only) unchecked.
2- In the General tab of the inventory record, Enforce Mobile Device Name is checked.

We had students changing the name on the iPad and then AirDropping inappropriate items. Using just #2, the could change the name then it would default back before we could catch them. With #1 in place, they can't change the name in the first place.
During mass deployment I push this out when we are done.