Print jobs owner is casper read service account

eob455
New Contributor II

I'm having a problem where jobs sent to a printer on a Windows print server show "casperread" as the owner. This happens to be the username for my Casper File Share read only account. If I manually add a printer to a Mac, the owner displays correctly, but if I push the printer out through JAMF, the owner is casperread. I inherited this system and this has probably been going on for years, but it's suddenly a problem now that we're implementing Follow Me Printing from PaperCut. Any ideas why this is happening or where it's coming from? I assume the push from JAMF is somehow associating the read-only user name (used to retrieve the driver package) but I have no idea where that setting would be.

JAMFPro 10.13.0
MacOS 10.12-10.14
Windows Print server 2008 R2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I don't have a complete answer, but what that probably means is that the "active" kerberos ticket for the user is the one used by Jamf to mount a distribution point file share (from the last time it downloaded content, as you mentioned with the driver pkg). If you run a "klist" I bet that's what you'll see. If the user performs a kinit before printing, that should resolve it.

Something like Enterprise Connect that helps with kerberos ticket management might be the best solution for this, by making sure the user always has a valid TGT in their name.

View solution in original post

eob455
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. I found that rebooting after the printer is received seems to clear the issue. I feel pretty stupid for not doing the "reboot" test before spinning my wheels on it. I was not aware of the klist command though so that's good to know. Thank you!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I don't have a complete answer, but what that probably means is that the "active" kerberos ticket for the user is the one used by Jamf to mount a distribution point file share (from the last time it downloaded content, as you mentioned with the driver pkg). If you run a "klist" I bet that's what you'll see. If the user performs a kinit before printing, that should resolve it.

Something like Enterprise Connect that helps with kerberos ticket management might be the best solution for this, by making sure the user always has a valid TGT in their name.

eob455
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. I found that rebooting after the printer is received seems to clear the issue. I feel pretty stupid for not doing the "reboot" test before spinning my wheels on it. I was not aware of the klist command though so that's good to know. Thank you!

jhavens
New Contributor

I'm seeing this exact issue as well - was the answer just to restart the computer after the printers get installed by jamf?