Printers

Andrew_Kuntz1
New Contributor III

Hello all!

I feel like my knowledge on the printers section of Jamf Pro to be lacking, and I feel that the docs are a little lacking on them. We have been running into printing issues a lot recently at my workplace, so I thought the first step would to look at our printers in Jamf. I am seeing a PPD in one of our printers that is not on my machine (I did not set up the printers, this was someone before me). So my question would be, what is the uploaded PPD actually doing? Does it get downloaded to my machine, and if so where? I do not see it in my PPD folder location (See attached). Also, does this part need to actually get filled out, or is it more of a section for custom PPDs given by manufacturers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.39.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 12.00.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.39.30 AM.png

2 REPLIES 2

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I personally would recommend using the lpadmin command to add printers to your devices. It tends to be more reliable in my experience than using the Jamf method. What model printers do you have and what kind of issues are you having with printing? Do you print directly to your printers or do you use a print server. I'd be happy to provide some examples of how to setup printers using the lpadmin command if you'd like.

DorianLabadie
New Contributor

You can try the steps from this article that I found by some Google search.