Problem with Desktop folder redirection on Mojave

alanp5
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have been using the same set of scripts for the past 3-4 versions of Mac OS which will redirect the users profile folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music & Pictures folders) to the users Active directory home folder.

I mount the home folder in the users profile and then create symbolic links to the various profile folders to folders within the AD home folder. If i select each of these folders, i can see the contents that is stored on the network home folder (e.g. if i click on the documents folder, it shows me the contents of the documents folder which is located on the AD home folder)

The problem is the desktop (although it redirects ok) it does not show the files on the actual desktop. If i try to copy a file to the actual desktop, I get an error of "The operation cant be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -8055)"

So in a nutshell, everything appears to redirect ok when i browse the actual folders within the local user profile, but nothing appears on the desktop.

Redirecting to a local folder does not cause any issues (for users that do not have a home folder, I simply redirect ~/Desktop to /LOCAL/$user/Desktop)
The idea is i can then clear down the profile on logout, and all of the users files are redirected to another location, so they are not touched.

This also appears to be intermittent, in that the desktop icons have appeared on a few occasions, (about 5 times out of 30-40 logins). The scripts work fine on el capitain, Sierra and High Sierra. But mojave is totally hit and miss. Anyone come across a similiar issue?
I can post scripts if need be

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsavageED
Contributor III

Are you killing the Finder in your script? If not then maybe just killall Finder after the redirect might force the finder to refresh and show the expected redirected content on the Desktop.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dsavageED
Contributor III

Are you killing the Finder in your script? If not then maybe just killall Finder after the redirect might force the finder to refresh and show the expected redirected content on the Desktop.

alanp5
New Contributor II

cheers for that! worked a treat.

ucdcastillo
New Contributor

Hi @alanp5,

Can you share a copy of that script, the one that I had for 10.12 no works for 10.14 and I really want to implement that in my enviroment.

Thank you,

Aguiness
New Contributor III

hi alanp5

if you could post that script that would be awesome, I've been trying to get this working but no success

thanks you