Push Managed Chrome over Unmanaged Chrome on iPads

JB35
New Contributor

Hi all. I'm fairly new to JAMF and I'm looking for a away to automatically push a managed Chrome app over the unmanaged version on iPads.

Here's where I'm at... All iPads currently have the unmanaged version of Chrome. I created a new Chrome in Mobile Device Apps with the enrollment token in App Configuration. I want to push this new version to the iPads. However, since they already have Chrome, it doesn't push it. 

I tried excluding the original Chrome from the app list but that didn't apply. If I list it in Self-Service, a user can re-install and then it applies, however, I'm trying to do this en masse.

4 REPLIES 4

SamBahr
New Contributor
New Contributor

You should be able to "Make app managed if possible" in the Mobile Device App settings for Chrome - then check "Convert unmanaged app to managed" 

JB35
New Contributor

They're both managed by Jamf. It's just the one version of Chrome that I'm trying to replaced has an enrollment token in "App Configuration" that will convert it to a managed browser in Google Admin Console.

SamBahr
New Contributor
New Contributor

I would try removing all devices from the scope of the app and then redeploying it, if both versions are managed by Jamf, the app should be removed when the devices are removed from scope. 

JB35
New Contributor

I tried to remove the one version from the scope of a test iPad and only leave the one with the enrollment token and it did not apply. I suspect that's because we don't have "Remove app when MDM profile is removed" checked on the original Chrome app. I don't want to change that setting on the production server in case it screws something up.

There was an update to Chrome and I'm seeing as iPads grab that update, it's enrolling them so that at least kicks it off but I'm still not sure if there's a way to force it otherwise.