Question about upgrading a JSS from 9.91 to 9.93 (or to any version above 9.9xx)

scentsy
Contributor

if I had a JSS 9.91 working on all macs, and I decided to upgrade to 9.93.

everything looks "fine", I check the JSS server "Search Inventory"->under "jamf" I see they have the new version 9.93, a few system that haven't log into the domain they still have version 9.91.

Until the users change their password from "Security & Privacy"->"Change Password..." they get "unable to communicate with the server" I do see under Users & Groups that is join to the domain.

at the moment the only fix that I could come up is to remove Casper from the client and re-enroll, after doing that it works fine.
I even tried to unbind re-bind manually and that doesn't work.

any help I really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@scentsy I'm not quite following what changing password has to do with your Casper environment, or how removing Casper and re-enrolling fixes the issue (do you have a policy that auto-binds to AD on enrollment?)

stevevalle
Contributor III

The only password change that I can think of that would affect the Mac communicating to your JSS would be the hidden management account that is created when enrolling. Changing the local (or AD) users password will not break the connection to your JSS.

If you run sudo jam manage in terminal (before removing the jamf binary and re-enrolling) what is the output?

scentsy
Contributor

@RobertHammen sorry my bad I didn't explain it correctly.

what I meant to say is I find out the macs are not communicating to the server until the users change their password, that's when they get the error message "can't communicate with the server" even though it looks like they are joint to the domain and they show up in our JSS.

like I said I didn't explain it correctly, what I'm trying to figure out if the upgrade from 9.91 to 9.93 somehow breaks communication between macs that are currently using jamf 9.91.

@stevevalle Thank you for the suggestion, I have not try the "jamf manage" before removing/re-enrolling, I think that might be what I need to do.

sometimes I make easy issues complicated =) thank you everyone!