Questions from a school's repair guy...

Not applicable

Hi JAMF Nation Folks,

I am looking to learn more about how I might instruct one of my customers to go about enabling the camera on iPads they mail to us (out-of-state) where they become disabled (restricted) immediately upon enrollment. The iPads autoconfigure via JAMF Casper/Pro during iOS activation, then download and install the school's configuration profile.

From what I have read in the knowledge base, modification of a) the profile or b) creation and reassignment of another profile to the devices he has requested repairs on would do the trick -- but the customer is certain this is not possible. Any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays!

2 REPLIES 2

bumbletech
Contributor III

Do the devices allow you to sign in with an AD account? They could likely make a (repairshop) account that you could use to sign in with, and then exclude those profiles to any device assigned to that user.

Also, they could set a smart group where membership is determined by the IP address of your shop (so long as it's static), and then make sure that group is excluded from any of those restrictions.

bwiessner
Contributor II

You could also create a extension attribute that has something like "In REPAIR" that could then be tracked as a list of whats in repair and that could also be excluded from those configuration profiles.

If iPad needs a repair a tech could look up that device record and make the EA to In Repair to YES which then would be collected as a smart group and then not only does that give them a list of all current repairs - then that smart group would be in the exclude on all configuration profiles - and then when the iPad goes back they go to the device record and uncheck "in Repair" and config profiles come back down. Lots of ways to skin this cat here.

I like @jbourdon idea for IP address just as long as the school and you don't have the same range it could work just fine too.