Quicktime - Disabling Screen Video recording

Byte
New Contributor

Hey Anyone,

Would like to lock down my quicktime settings in order to not allow any screen video capture.
Working off El capitan 10.11.6 and unable to find any information reg this.
Can a plist be modified or configuration changed so that I can push this out via a policy easily?

Thanks for any assistance or ideas on how to get this resolved

4 REPLIES 4

Byte
New Contributor

Bump to top*
Does anyone have the answer to this please?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I don't think you can disable that short of restricting the QuickTime app.

Byte
New Contributor

I was hoping to not hear that... has anyone experienced something similar in requirements of locking down screen recording on a mac? is it feasible in any way taking into consideration that quicktime is part of the OS?
Any suggestions are welcome.. any logic is welcome... any answer is welcome :)

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't believe there's a way to do this, mostly because for it to be done with something like a defaults write command or a Config Profile, Apple has to add that in and support such a lock down feature. I know of nothing that disables that option within QuickTime. The fact that there is no GUI way of disabling it is also telling. Not that that means there isn't one, since there are many hidden preference options that don't show up in an app's preferences window, but, I don't see anything in relation to disabling that functionality. QuickTime Player doesn't even have a Preferences window. : /

If you can convince the powers that be that, if this is truly a requirement, you'll need to block the use of Quicktime altogether with Restricted Software, then that may be your best or only real option.

Just curious though, what exactly is the need here? Why do you need to stop this functionality? If you explain the situation further, it may help some of us think of some other approaches.