"JAMF Admin.app" acting weirder and weirder

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

I have been using JAMF Admin.app to upload packages, set their Category (Application, Utility, etc) and index them. Last year some time I noticed that if I upload a .pkg, I can't index them until I save, quit the JAMF Admin.app, and then launch it again. Then it will allow me to set the Category and run an index. Weird - but I can deal with it as I am usually just updating a package or two and done.

Today, I had multiple packages to test and upload and I noticed that after I uploaded all the packages, saved, and quit, when I opened it again and started setting the Categories and running index, some of the packages would fail to let me do an index and would give an error. I skipped them for now and set the Categories and saved and quit the app. When I launched it again, the categories I set had reverted back to 'uncategorized' and went back to being blue. I deleted the packages that were giving errors when I went to index them, and uploaded them again, set the categories again for the ones that had reverted to uncategorized, saved, quit and launched JAMF Admin.app again - and they were back to uncategorized.

I set them again and now while trying to right click on them, the mouse would not right click and just kind of 'stuck' on that item until I left clicked on another item - then it would select the other item and I could see the right clicks happening quickly and going away in a fraction of a second.

This was in our JAMF sandbox environment, so I decided to take one of the packages that was behaving normally and to switch to our live environment and add two packages. The copies went fine. I saved and quit JAMF Admin.app and when I opened it again ALL my packages are now red and reporting as missing. (!!) Printers and Scripts appear fine - just package files.

I quit without saving, gave it a few minutes and tried again - and it still shows all packages as red/missing. I checked in the JamfPro website settings under packages and they appear to still be there. I did an install from Self Service of one of the packages and it appears to have installed. Reaching out to JAMF Support now because something is going on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

So - after escalating and explaining the issue twice, this went to someone higher up and who explained that they were in the process of updating their system and the way it handles serial numbers and that somehow ours didn't port over correctly and even though our serial number was showing as valid and up to date on the JAMF back end, the system saw it as expired and 'hid' all the .pkg files - causing JAMF Admin.pkg to see them as missing.

They fixed the issue on the back end and now we are back up and running again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

dlondon
Valued Contributor

If you are using the current version try 10.34.2

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

Got in touch with JAMF Support and did a remote session. Checked the licensing (OK), the server connection (OK), cache issues (OK), and that the packages were there (they were, then weren't, then were again). No solution yet and it is being bumped up to the JAMF server team.

I am hoping at this point it is not a complete loss and they have a good backup so we don't have to rebuild our entire environment and re-enroll all our computers.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

I have given up on using Jamf Admin to upload packages to Jamf Cloud after finding that packages that had been uploaded with no indication of error would be showing as "Upload Failed" when I looked at the package under the JSS Console Settings->Computer Management->Packages page. That page appears to the only reliable mechanism for uploading a package to Jamf Cloud, and I _really_ wish Jamf would fix Jamf Admin because the web interface is tedious for dealing with multiple uploads. 

I've also switched to the web for upload. The only issue with that is mpkg files particularly Adobe Creative Cloud. This is after I've make a installer for each product. I really don't want to do a copy folder to the remote machine that execute a script to install unless I have to.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@CSCC-JS If you create a .zip file of an Adobe mpkg installer before uploading it via the web interface then the Jamf binary will automatically extract the installer before running it after download.

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

I got an email back from JAMF support - different tech - but doesn't seem to be the server team and they are going back over the same things we have already tried, so I am asking to escalate and to see if they can jump on a call to resolve this faster. Then I got a link for their next available time slot - which isn't until tomorrow.

We have been down since Thursday and so far no resolution in sight to why all of our packages are disappearing and sometimes visible online and sometimes not. This is less than ideal being unable to work on packages and not sure if our hosted environment is stable. 

Yes - the quirks with the JAMF Admin.app are there, but this now seems to be server related. I can handle the odd upload issues - but I uploaded two packages and all of a sudden ALL 50+ packages are reporting as missing in the admin.app and also appearing and disappearing in the JAMF back end.

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

So - after escalating and explaining the issue twice, this went to someone higher up and who explained that they were in the process of updating their system and the way it handles serial numbers and that somehow ours didn't port over correctly and even though our serial number was showing as valid and up to date on the JAMF back end, the system saw it as expired and 'hid' all the .pkg files - causing JAMF Admin.pkg to see them as missing.

They fixed the issue on the back end and now we are back up and running again.