"Official" Remove Symantec software for macOS (OS X) using RemoveSymantecMacFiles

ekkehard
Contributor

Situation

You need to uninstall a Symantec product for Macintosh that is installed under Mac OS X. You have tried several methods, including manually uninstalling or running the Symantec Uninstaller without success. Alternatively, you have been referred here by a technician or from another document because running the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility is necessary to solve a problem with your Symantec program for Macintosh.

8 REPLIES 8

MACHOUSTON
New Contributor III

can you try this and let me know?
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/21364/symantec-sep-12-1-removal-script-and-process-how-to

hcodfrie
Contributor

franton has a nice GitHub page for this :

Remove AV

franton
Valued Contributor III

Thanks @hcodfrie ... I was working on this yesterday. For SEP, I basically ripped their remove script apart and rewrote it to be more admin friendly but I do recommend running it outside of a user context e.g. LoginWindow.

Let me know how you get on with it. Feedback is very much appreciated.

llitz123
Contributor III

Hi
I know this is a really old thread that I'm reviving yet I need some help removing Symantec Endpoint from all computers before upgrading them to 10.15. I'm going to test this script yet was wondering if anyone has successfully removed SEP recently that could walk me through their process.
Thanks for any assistance.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

@llitz123 I used scripts/packages from Symantec in the past: here. It's been a while since I have had to do this but it worked well for me in the past.

tomt
Valued Contributor

@llitz123 There is a LOT of info around removing Symantec products in the #symantec channel of the MacAdmins Slack.

llitz123
Contributor III

@tomt I don't think I fully understand the MacAdmin slack. I went there a few times yet I think my questions were too basic as no one responded. I'm testing with a few scripts now as best I can to see if they will work, If I get stuck, I'll stop by. Thanks.

@jmahlman I just noticed the JAMF portion of the broadcom scripts. I'll test as needed.
Thanks.

tomt
Valued Contributor

@llitz123 For your issue, it would probably be best to just search and read in the #symantec channel. Unfortunately, there are many different ways to accomplish the removal and some are better than others depending on the exact situation.