random connection errors to SMB share on windows 2012 r2

RogerH
Contributor II

HEy jamfnation we are having a major issue with clients not being able to mount the share 4 out of 5 times. I have been working with JAMF support and they thought it may be related to a patch but I removed that patch and I am still having issues. The system log on the client shows:

Sep 18 11:03:40 ARNC02P904PFVH7 kernel[0]: smb2fs_smb_validate_neg_info: Server capabilities do not match 
Sep 18 11:03:40 ARNC02P904PFVH7 kernel[0]: smbfs_mount: smb2fs_smb_validate_neg_info failed 80 
Sep 18 11:03:40 ARNC02P904PFVH7 mount_smbfs[81969]: smb_mount: mount failed to 10.40.34.26/CasperShareNBK, syserr = Authentication error

Has anyone else run into this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottb
Honored Contributor

@RogerUL ,

Looks like you're using IP addresses - we changed to that when we saw this with 9.62.
Do you have any special characters in the JSS account names? CasperAdmin and CasperInstall? We took those out as well and it helped a lot.
We use a Windows 2008 JSS/SMB as well. Working pretty well most of the time now since those two changes.
I'll go back and look for other things we may have done too.
Also have a look (assuming your'e using AD) at the system clocks. If there's deviation there, it can cause a lot fo issues. We use time servers (I'm sure you do too) and it usually works fine.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottb
Honored Contributor

It would help a lot to know the version of the JSS, client OS, etc...

RogerH
Contributor II

@scottb jss 9.73 client os 10.10.5

scottb
Honored Contributor

@RogerUL ,

Looks like you're using IP addresses - we changed to that when we saw this with 9.62.
Do you have any special characters in the JSS account names? CasperAdmin and CasperInstall? We took those out as well and it helped a lot.
We use a Windows 2008 JSS/SMB as well. Working pretty well most of the time now since those two changes.
I'll go back and look for other things we may have done too.
Also have a look (assuming your'e using AD) at the system clocks. If there's deviation there, it can cause a lot fo issues. We use time servers (I'm sure you do too) and it usually works fine.

Checking in again in 2023 to see if anyone has found a genuine solution to this? As of Ventura our users cannot connect to our SMB servers with the same error as OC above.

smb2fs_smb_validate_neg_info: Server capabilities do not match 
smbfs_mount: smb2fs_smb_validate_neg_info failed 80 

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

Are you using AD accounts for the service accounts or local accounts? If they are AD accounts there is a bug with the kerberos tickets

scottb
Honored Contributor

We've seen what @Josh.Smith posted above in prior versions of JSS, but not 9.72 oddly. We have not moved yet to 9.73.

@Josh.Smith - was this verified fixed in 9.73? I'll DL the guide and have a look...

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

@scottb They "fixed" that specific defect (D-008898) in 9.73...but 9.73 includes a new defect with the same symptoms (D-009351). I think they gave it a new number because it has a different root cause, but it has the same end result.

RogerH
Contributor II

@scottb Thanks for helping!!! it looks like the special characters in the account password may have caused the issue.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@RogerUL - glad to hear it helped. I recall when we did the update that spurred this, it was highly stressful. This place is great and users are what sets it apart from anything else I've ever used. My knowledge pales compared to the local Gods, but I'm learning and try to help if I can.