Re-installing deleted stock apps on iOS 10 without app store

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi all

Now that iOS 10 allows you to delete stock apps (e.g. Calendar, Reminders, Notes, etc), it looks like the only way to have these available for reinstall on devices that have the App Store restricted is to make them available in Self Service. But I cant seem to find them all on the VPP store to get the licenses. Has anyone else found these on the VPP store yet?

6 REPLIES 6

plawrence
Contributor II

An update. I've been informed by VPP Support that the iOS core apps (Calendar, Reminders, Notes, etc) are not currently available on the in the VPP Store or the iTunes store. I was asked to supply Feedback from the deploy.apple.com website:

I encourage you to use the Feedback link on the program website to submit your comments: 1. Go to https://deploy.apple.com <https://deploy.apple.com/> 2. Sign in using your Apple ID and password. 3. From the top-right menu, choose Send Feedback. 4. Submit your comments.

I suggest anyone else who restricts access to the App Store in their environment do the same.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Submitted! This is a big issue! We don't want our users to be without Safari, for example.

plawrence
Contributor II

@St0rMl0rD Thanks. Luckily Safari is not deletable, but Mail is, so that could get annoying fast.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I thought the apps were not actually deleted but hidden. Out of curiosity, what happens if you send a Hide profile for that app and then unscope that profile?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

This is an old thread, but someone gave me a Kudo. Thank you, but I was wrong, the stock apps can be deleted. They can be reinstalled by anyone in the App Store even without signing in, so you have to enable it if it is blocked.

Now in 2022 there is a restriction that restricts the deleting of stock apps. 

plawrence
Contributor II

@cdenesha

That's a creative suggestion! I tried deleting the Home app, then hiding it with a profile and then removing that profile, but the app didn't come back. Down the same lines of thought I tried a Single App Mode payload with com.apple.Home as the bundle ID, but the the profile failed to install with a 'The payload specifies an app that is restricted.' error. Seems like something locally on the iPad is handling the 'deletion' of the core apps which is currently incompatible with MDM?

Patrick

I thought the apps were not actually deleted but hidden. Out of curiosity, what happens if you send a Hide profile for that app and then unscope that profile?