Reason 9 from Propellerhead Install

skinford
Contributor III

Good afternoon everyone!

Has anyone had any success installing Reason version 9 using Casper?

We run a Reason server out in the wild for licensing so that end is covered.

The Reason software installation quickest way to install according to them is to download the online version 4GB drag the Reason folder from the DMG into Applications and run the Reason.app. This will move sound bank folders into their proper locations and instal a few things. But it has several places to enter Admin passwords and it doesn't seem very easy to install remotely.

Appreciate if anyone has touched this or could just point me to a way that may work.

Have a great day everyone!

2 REPLIES 2

reelmike
New Contributor II

Hi @skinford!
I actually work for a radio production company and have a lot of experience with audio software installs for our audio production department (Pro Tools, Logic, audio plugins galore!).

There's two different ways I would highly recommend going about accomplishing the install:
- our team is very particular about where certain sound banks get put on the system (maybe an external drive, or different partition), so I'd say about 90% of these deployments in my environment are essentially "downloads" and then the user has their discretion to install when they want, and to apply whatever variables they need for their setup. To do this, I make a folder in my Downloads folder, i.e., "Reason 9 Installer", put the dmg in that folder, then capture it in Composer. Then I make that into a dmg, upload in Casper Admin, and be sure to enable FEU for that install package. That will ensure that when the user "installs" the dmg to their Downloads folder, it fills their home directory, and doesn't create a new home directory with your name on it. Then in Self Service I set the "Install" button to say "Download" and spell out in the description that this is a download only, and installation is manual on their part.

• the other option is to capture the entire process you describe with Composer and then package that into an install. But, I've found that to be too time consuming, and can lead to unintended consequences, esp. if the user keeps their sound banks on external drives.

Make sense?

skinford
Contributor III

@reelmike Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to install for a generic environment for Classroom use. But I like the way that you do the install for end users to choose. Thank you again.